Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

EVO axle sleeve seals

Old 09-30-2009, 10:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mel I hear you know Toby Lavendar, his shop did the install, outstanding service and quality work.

I'm going to rely on my seals to seal and my sleeves to streghten. Everything is now doing their job and my jeep is stong and leak free.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by FlameRed

I'm going to rely on my seals to seal and my sleeves to streghten. Everything is now doing their job and my jeep is stong and leak free.
Well, I would love to be able to rely on my seals to seal, but I can't.

The front pass side has been replaced 4 times, and the driver side 1 time.
They just keep leaking.
It only take a few days to a couple of weeks for them to leak after new ones are installed, and I just don't know what to do at this point. I am SO FRUSTRATED!
I've had the work done by 3 different dealerships, 2 of which I trust and have faith in their work.
I am out of warranty now, but this has been going on since well before my warranty expired.
Part of the problem is that my job moves me around the country frequently, and so I can't stick with one dealer to work through this with Chrysler. Every place wants to start fresh and look at it themselves, replace them and see what happens.
Fortunately I have only had to pay for the replacement one time.
Obviously there is something wrong with my axle!
I'm installing the sleeves anyways to strengthen the axle. I've never intended it as a fix for this, but I thought it might help this issue also.

Last edited by horwitzs; 09-30-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should have mentioned this earlier but one of the big advantages of EVO sleeves over other competitors is you can run EVO sleeves without the outer seal if you want. If the outer seals make you nervous then don't install them. If you choose you can install them at a later date or even remove them after they have been installed. Other brands of sleeves don't give you the choice to run outer seals or not.

Second, I have nothing but positive things to say about EVO products and EVO support. Mel in particular has always been helpful and responsive. I can't say that about many of EVOs competitors.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:42 AM
JK Super Freak

horwitzs, I was having this issue as well. Found that my u-joint bearing were going bad and there was some slop/play in their movement. This allowed the axle to pull out more than normal during tight turns. If the axle shaft is able to move out an extra inch... it will leak because the shaft diameter is smaller thus preventing the seal from doing its job. When you make tight turns... you axle shaft pulls away from the diff. It has about an inch of effective play. anything more than that and you get to the neck down portion of the axle shaft. If that portion passes the seal... your axle shaft diameter is just too small to retain the oil.

Once I fixed my u-joint... the axle stopped leaking.

Last edited by 2climbbig; 10-01-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
horwitzs, I was having this issue as well. Found that my u-joint bearing were going bad and there was some slop/play in their movement. This allowed the axle to pull out more than normal during tight turns. If the axle shaft is able to move out an extra inch... it will leak because the shaft diameter is smaller thus preventing the seal from doing its job. When you make tight turns... you axle shaft pulls away from the diff. It has about an inch of effective play. anything more than that and you get to the neck down portion of the axle shaft. If that portion passes the seal... your axle shaft diameter is just too small to retain the oil.

Once I fixed my u-joint... the axle stopped leaking.
Thanks for that info, it might prove helpful.
I visited the dealership again today to express my feelings about all this, and I also put in a call to Chrysler.
They will talk to the dealer today to figure out why they can't fix this and call me back by tomorrow morning.
Hopefully they will pay to throw more than just new seals at it this time.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Two questions about these 44 mags. The inner seal on the D44 sleeve is some sort of cotton, fibrous seal, and the outer is rubber. What is the purpose of this? Wont that thing evenutally disintigrate if you are greasing the zerk fitting?
Old 10-21-2009, 12:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Also, with the zerk fitting, what are you greasing?
Old 10-21-2009, 01:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ryanc
Also, with the zerk fitting, what are you greasing?
Without some kind of lube on the rubber seal it would melt with all of the rotational friction. I am just pulling this out of my rear but would have to think that greasing the seals will make them seal better with a longer life.

Quick Reply: EVO axle sleeve seals