Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

EVO axle sleeve seals

Old 09-30-2009, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO axle sleeve seals

Do the EVO axle sleeves have seals on the inside against the axle shaft, AND on the outside against the outer tube?
Old 09-30-2009, 07:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Evo sleeves have 2 seals located just inside the tube at the C. Evo uses a needle greese fitting at the outer edge of the tube to greese them.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool was wondering the same thing
Old 09-30-2009, 07:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Ok, I am having problems with my axle seals (described today in the stock JK section).
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/m%2A%25%40-f-%5E-axle-seals-103374/

I'm thinking (hoping) that the sleeves might seal up the tube so any leakage from the inner seal will be caught and stay inside the diff and axle tube.
I know it's not ideal and I'll have to make sure that I have a little extra oil in there, but I don't know what other choice I have at this point.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

EVO retains the factory seals on the inside of the tubes and adds outer seals as well. The outer seals prevent junk from getting into the tubes but also prevents any junk that gets in there from coming out. Non-EVO sleeves do not have the outer seals so more junk can get into the tubes but that junk is not prevented from washing out. What design is better? It depends on what type of wheeling you do. If you are in a lot of water I would expect the EVO design would retain more water where the non-EVO sleeves would let the water right back out. If you are in a lot of sand, then it would be nice to keep the sand away from the inner seals and the EVO design would be better at that.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:35 AM
JK Freak

I just went though the same thing.

Two weeks ago we had trusted shop in stall EVO sleeves, gussets, LCA skids. Got the jeep back, everything looked good, welds were awesome. No leaks.

Then the next weekend we drive 8 hours to meet with the SoCal group for a run. We wake up Saturday morning to get ready for the trip and there is a trickle of diff fluid on the ground. Look, my p-side axle was leaking. So I refill the diff (was barely below full) and off we go.

Anyways I just kept checking and filling the diff, and we made it home just fine. Timing would suggest the shop dinged the inner seal while doing their work. So we took it back to the shop and asked them to look at it, they said it was a grey area between coincidence and their mistake. But being a good business they resealed my axle on the house and the leak has stopped.

When we took it back to the shop I even asked him "shouldn't the outter seals on the sleeves hold in any leaks?" he said he would have thought so too, but they didn't. I never was able to determine the exact point the fluid was leaking out the axle, could have been though a leaky outter weld or could have been though the seals....

Bottom line, my axles sleeves were not a guarentee against a leaky seal.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the one and ONLY thing that should retain the diff lube where it belongs in the diff is the inner axle seals that come manufactured from the plant.....not tube inserts, or outter seals...just the inner manufactured seals
those outter seals are a great idea to keep contaminents out of the axle tube so the inner seals aren't compromised, but that's it, they are not designed to retain the diff oil, nor are the tube inserts\
I'd be just as pissed if I found out that I was retaining oil in my axle tubes were it doesn't belong, only to find out my gears and pinion bearing fried....simply put, if there is an issue with leakage the real problem needs to be addressed with the inner axle seals
Old 09-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by FlameRed
I just went though the same thing.

Two weeks ago we had trusted shop in stall EVO sleeves, gussets, LCA skids. Got the jeep back, everything looked good, welds were awesome. No leaks.

Then the next weekend we drive 8 hours to meet with the SoCal group for a run. We wake up Saturday morning to get ready for the trip and there is a trickle of diff fluid on the ground. Look, my p-side axle was leaking. So I refill the diff (was barely below full) and off we go.

Anyways I just kept checking and filling the diff, and we made it home just fine. Timing would suggest the shop dinged the inner seal while doing their work. So we took it back to the shop and asked them to look at it, they said it was a grey area between coincidence and their mistake. But being a good business they resealed my axle on the house and the leak has stopped.

When we took it back to the shop I even asked him "shouldn't the outter seals on the sleeves hold in any leaks?" he said he would have thought so too, but they didn't. I never was able to determine the exact point the fluid was leaking out the axle, could have been though a leaky outter weld or could have been though the seals....

Bottom line, my axles sleeves were not a guarentee against a leaky seal.

Sorry to here your local shop damaged your axle seal, it happens. Glad it was resolved.

Here is the description of the EVO 44 Magnums of our website,

EVO 44 Magnum Sealed JK Axle Sleeves Details
Off Road Evolution is proud to announce the 44 Magnum. This product is designed to increase JK axle housing strength by 30% while incorporating dual seals to prevent debris from entering the axle tubes. Combining these two tried and true technologies will not only increase the strength of your axle housing, but will also help to prevent premature falure of the costly to replace inner axle seals.

So with all this being said The 44 Magnums will strengthen your axle, help keep debris out and away from your inner seals, and according to your post they also drain any fluid from tubes to eliminate fluid capture

Sounds like it is working as intended and the additional benefits are there!

Mel
Old 09-30-2009, 10:05 AM
JK Super Freak

As stated the inner seals should hold fluid from entering or exiting but the outer seal do not. In the case of fording water the outer EVO seals will allow water to enter the tubes up to the inner seal and will keep more water in the tubes for longer than a sleeve with no seal. The longer that fluid is in the axle the more chance it has of penetrating the inner seal. This is why the outer EVO seals are not ideal if you do a lot of fording. The EVO seals are designed to keep out non-fluid contaminants. You do not want lots of sand in your tubes wearing on the inner seal for example. In the case of non-fluid contaminants the EVO outer seals will do a better job of protecting the inner seals.

Personally, I do not spend a lot of time in the sand or mud but I do cross rivers all the time so I have sleeves without outer seals.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:09 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by porters
As stated the inner seals should hold fluid from entering or exiting but the outer seal do not. In the case of fording water the outer EVO seals will allow water to enter the tubes up to the inner seal and will keep more water in the tubes for longer than a sleeve with no seal. The longer that fluid is in the axle the more chance it has of penetrating the inner seal. This is why the outer EVO seals are not ideal if you do a lot of fording. The EVO seals are designed to keep out non-fluid contaminants. You do not want lots of sand in your tubes wearing on the inner seal for example. In the case of non-fluid contaminants the EVO outer seals will do a better job of protecting the inner seals.

Personally, I do not spend a lot of time in the sand or mud but I do cross rivers all the time so I have sleeves without outer seals.
I never thought of that thanks!

Quick Reply: EVO axle sleeve seals