Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

EVO 14" coilovers on a 2 door JK?

Old 01-29-2009, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scottg07
Theres always gonna be a chance of breakage. I've ran my 40s on rubi axles for a while now and just recently broke my front driver axle. Like NGINIER was saying, you can manage 40s pretty easy, just be light over obstacles and realize its okay to back down if things get too hardcore. The real question: "Is upgrading axles worth it?" 60s front and rear will run you over 8k... To me 8k can buy a sweet rock buggy on craigslist lol. Next, you could upgrade to chromos, u-joints and gussets, which is a lot less expensive. Ten Factory sells there complete front axle upgrade kit for $735 which comes with a 10 year warranty and has 4340 Chromoly with 1350 u-joints. Last you can just fix it as the carnage comes, which has its risks, but could save you a lot. My fix cost me about $125 and was real simple.
What's Ten Factory?
Old 01-29-2009, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by asjackman
What's Ten Factory?
It is kinda of confusing, Motive gear bought Alloy Usa's stock and Ron Stobaugh part owner of alloy has moved to motive. Omix bought alloy/precision gear so the alloy name is dead. the Ten factory name is the new name in quality axle shafts w/ a ten year warranty. Same quality specs that alloy had now with a great big company to support it.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:22 PM
JK Newbie

Default 2 Dr with 40's and Evo

I am running 40's with D60's and the full evo kit. I went with the 12" coilovers and I am glad I did. I ended up having to put limiting straps on the front to keep my front driveshaft out of the exhaust system. I don't want to lift my jeep any higher than necessary to keep the cg as low as possible for all the off camber wheelin we do around here.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2Stroke
I am running 40's with D60's and the full evo kit. I went with the 12" coilovers and I am glad I did. I ended up having to put limiting straps on the front to keep my front driveshaft out of the exhaust system. I don't want to lift my jeep any higher than necessary to keep the cg as low as possible for all the off camber wheelin we do around here.
You got any pics of that set up? I am looking to go to a similar set up and would be interested in seeing how it looks.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Weight, departure and approach angles. Plus JKs weren't even out yet.
I'm more along the "hard core" side of things, it still gets driven on the street. Double beadlocks, cuttings brakes, 4 sp Atlas, 16" 2.5 King Coil overs, Air Bumps, Howe full hydro, if you get my drift. Its not exactly a daily driver but could be if I could afford tires. I don't like to be beat by an obstacle, Ill roll or break something before I back down or pull cable.
That's why I don't believe in dana 44s for over a 37, if you go out on the trail and spent thousands in suspension on tires try stuff or do yourself a favor and be a mallcrawler, not a wheeler. Sometimes you have to spin and heat the tire up to make them bite. When they bite sometimes stuff breaks but the pure satisfaction of getting over something you never thought you could and working to make it up is what its all about. Its a challenge and that's what I love. Find your weakest link, make it the cheapest and easiest thing to change. Shafts are a cheap and easy thing to change on the trail unlike blowing up a ring and pinion.
Oh and ten factory will warranty alloy stuff too I believe, that whole thing was a mess.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

Default Pics

I am going to pick my rig up at the shop on Saturday and then I'll post some pics.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Amway Man
So you cant run them on the stock Rubicon D44s? Kinda defeats the purpose of buying a Rubicon. I'm not hard on the throttle at all, prefer the slow and steady method of wheeling and wont be doing any 10/10 rated trails, or at least not many so knowing that would I still need to get aftermarket axles to run 38s or smaller? Just doesn't make much sense to me
It does defeat the purpose of a Rubicon....which is why the Rubicon comes with 32" tires......I bought an X so I don't have any regrets throwing 60's under it
Old 01-29-2009, 04:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SONIC
that however defeats the purpose of using a 2 dr lol the Unlimited is 116" wheelbase. So why extend a two door when you can buy one already "extended"
Old 01-29-2009, 05:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SONIC
that however defeats the purpose of using a 2 dr lol the Unlimited is 116" wheelbase. So why extend a two door when you can buy one already "extended"
fyi extending the wheel base on a 2 door is a lot better then having the stock wheel base because the approach and departure angles will a lot better on the two door. if you extend the wheel base of a 4 door then it will just be way too long and useless

Originally Posted by 2Stroke
what kind of 60s did you use? ford chevy or after market what did you do about the esp.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:24 PM
JK Newbie

With the amount of money he has in it, I'm sure he has aftermarket axles. Dynatrac's I believe

Last edited by Worthless; 01-30-2009 at 09:32 AM.

Quick Reply: EVO 14" coilovers on a 2 door JK?