Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

everytime i go 4wheeling my steering is jacked

Old 03-22-2010, 01:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default everytime i go 4wheeling my steering is jacked

i never feel like my steering wheel is perfectly centered..
it dosesnt pull but it seems to never be straight and its flighty

is it me or i am imagining things.

every time i go wheeling it seems to get crooked... and i dont do anything crazy just go through some feilds and up steep hills

thanks
cody
Old 03-22-2010, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLK-JK23
i never feel like my steering wheel is perfectly centered..
it dosesnt pull but it seems to never be straight and its flighty

is it me or i am imagining things.

every time i go wheeling it seems to get crooked... and i dont do anything crazy just go through some feilds and up steep hills

thanks
cody
Judging from your sig you have lifted your jeep and kept the stock control arms. Because of that your caster is quite low and low caster causes twitchy or flighty steering. At one point my steering was very flighty at 1.5 degrees! And I could turn my steering wheel with my pinkie finger with 37 inch tires! Now my caster is at 4.5 degrees and my steering wheel is more difficult to turn but not flighty at all which is great. I noticed increased flightyness when going up hills like you seem to be mentioning with 1.5 degrees of caster. Get some lower adjustable contol arms and increase your caster and you'll be happy I think. To adjust your steering wheel (center it again) turn the drag link and go for a drive and turn it again and drive again until you find the center then tighten it up for good. I ve been four wheeling once and once I got back to the road i noticed my steering wheel was not centered too. I just centered it and its been fine since.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:24 PM
JK Freak

how come people have 2.5 lifts and there fine??

if i get lower control arms how do i know how many degrees im at and how much to adjust?
Old 03-22-2010, 04:32 PM
JK Super Freak

There was a thread about some shaft failing that allowed the splines to move around. But I cant remember what the shaft was called.

I know MKJEEP mentioned that he failed his shaft a couple of times maybe send him a PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your tierod might be bent very so slighty causing this. Worth a check.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:41 PM
JK Freak

Steering sector shaft.
As for lower control arms, with just a leveling kit you really don't need them but more positive caster should tighten up your steering and not be quite as flighty, that's what I'm gettin next.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:55 PM
JK Freak

steering shaft sector huh... im going to have to look into this.... ive hit nothhing to bend my tie rods..

it just never wants to line up

Quick Reply: everytime i go 4wheeling my steering is jacked