Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

everyone with 37's, how much did they slow you down??

Old 10-02-2008, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with 35's because I didn't have the cash for gears yet and I'm glad I did. I still really wnt the 37's but they will just have to wait.
Driving on the street with my 35's is fine with my stock 4.10 gearing but I miss the low range when off-road, I can't just idle over the rocks any more. Now I have to use a little bit of gas, not muich but the low range is not as low any more.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

i am currently running 37s with 4.10 and 6spd......the drive is tolerable, i usuall drive 65-70 no problems, it will do 85+ but the jeep working pretty hard to maintain........i driven from virginia to pennsylvina to texas to mississippi for my final destination.....the only real downshifting i had do was in the mountian passes.....

but hey gears would have helped a bit, but those big altitude changes, well a difficult with air fuel ratio with elevation changes.....

if i kept speed around 65-70 around 2100-2200 rpms then i would get around 17mpg ....verified with GPS and topping off tank....

it is no hotrod.....am i saying not to chage gears....nope.....i will be upgrading my gears in a month or so when cash flow is better.....i will be going with 4.88s that should put me to close to the stock feel,...i have driven one with 4.88s and it was nice........if i had an auto i would go with 5.13s.

Last edited by blkpearl; 10-02-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
IMHO, you really need to regear to 5.13's for 37's. and, for me personally, they are just barely enough for my tires and all the extra weight i now have on my JK.
x2. There's no question. I have 35's and 4.10's worked, but with the automatic it was anemic and you could tell that the automatic really had to work on anything but flat terrain. With the 5.13's she came alive.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running 37's with 5.13's and a RE 4.5 longarm.

The JK does really well on and off road. The lift rides and handles at least as well as the stock suspension.

The only issue I have with the 37's is that I pull a 2200lb. trailer up a couple of really long and steep climbs (on I-17 here in AZ.). If I lose momentum for any reason, I'm stuck at 40mph for the rest of the climb.

If you don't pull a lot of trailers up mountain climbs, you'll absolutely LOVE 37's!
Old 10-02-2008, 11:20 PM
JK Freak

I'm currently running 35's and looking forward to the day I can put 37" on. But as everything else I need to budget for this, not only will I be regearing but the 37's also mean that I need a rear bumper with tire carrier...NOT cheap.

Quick Reply: everyone with 37's, how much did they slow you down??