Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

everyone with 37's, how much did they slow you down??

Old 10-02-2008, 02:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default everyone with 37's, how much did they slow you down??

I really love the look of the 37's on the unlimited, but how much did they slow you guys down with the weight of the lift? What gearing did you guys find best for daily driving? My unlimited will be mainly daily driving, with mild offroading, so I would like to keep the power as close to stock as possible. Thanks for you help.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was surprised how little I lost and I am completely happy with the 37s and 4.10s.

I did order the 5.13 gears but of course they have been on backorder for months so that gave me time to ride with the stock gears, I have debated just cancelling the 5.13s and using that money on a front bumper.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are you happy with your lift? Do you think a long-arm is worth it for an unlimited?

Originally Posted by def9112
I was surprised how little I lost and I am completely happy with the 37s and 4.10s.

I did order the 5.13 gears but of course they have been on backorder for months so that gave me time to ride with the stock gears, I have debated just cancelling the 5.13s and using that money on a front bumper.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:08 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm running 37's on stock control arms so far w/o issue. I too was concerned about power loss and was all set to order 5.13's when I ordered my tires. Since cash flow was an issue I didnt order the gears and my JK Rubicon drives just fine for me with the stock dana 44's and 4.10's. Gas mileage of course dropped but I have more then enough power for my daily drive and occasional wheelin.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:26 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

IMHO, you really need to regear to 5.13's for 37's. and, for me personally, they are just barely enough for my tires and all the extra weight i now have on my JK.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

imo people with 35+ and 4.10's are kidding themselves. If you ever drive an Unlimited with 35+ and 4.10's and then try one with 5.13's you'll know. I wish I would have gotten my gears BEFORE I got my bumpers.

My daily commute is about 50 miles round trip. I live in southeast Texas where there is a natural elevation change of maybe 20' save for the overpasses.

I quit daily driving my Jeep a while ago in favor of a full size truck due to the fact cruise was worthless as was the overdrive. I drove around town on the weekends and to and from the trails, but it was retired from daily driver (this was supposed to be my daily driver when I bought it).

I got my Jeep back from getting 5.13 gears on Friday of last week and haven't driven the truck since. It is a night and day difference. I have ZERO problems with overdrive and it is a pleasure to drive at highway speeds.

Like I said, only regret is not buying them sooner.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:16 AM
JK Super Freak

If I'm not experiencing a major loss of power and I'm still able to drive at highway speeds (75+ mph) w/o issue what would be the true benefit of upgrading to 5.13 from 4.10's?
Old 10-02-2008, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have 37's and 4.10's and it is liveable. Looking forward to 5.13's, and driving it like it is now will only make me appreciate a re-gear even more, but i will get bumpers and a roll cage first. Safety of my passengers and myself is more important than the gears at this point. I drive mostly highway to and from work and I'm getting around 17 mpg - but I baby it. No wind, no hills I will cruise at 75 w/ overdrive on. If it's a bit windy, or hills I just keep overdrive off and cruise at 65. I moved back to a jeep from a 420 hp GTO so I needed to slow down anyway

A lot could depend on if your an auto or manual trans. I have an auto and I hear 37's and 4.10's are easier to deal with when you have a manual trans.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

I've got 37's and a 6 speed and have a lengthy commute up and down the mountains outside Albuquerque. The 5.13's are BARELY able to make the commute livable. I shudder to think how bad it would be with 4.10's. I'm typically in 5th with it floored going uphill. 4.10's would not cut it here with my elevation changes (from about 5200 ft to 7700 ft).

Equipment includes alot of overweight components, so I'm sure I've gained at least 500 lbs over a stock JK unlimited.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Roadking
Are you happy with your lift? Do you think a long-arm is worth it for an unlimited?
Read my signature.

I love it this way, and my lift handles great on and off road.

It ain't cheap, but what is???

Quick Reply: everyone with 37's, how much did they slow you down??