Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Evap Relocation with Woods updated Kit for 07-10.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Evap Relocation with Woods updated Kit for 07-10.

JeepSwag aka Brett Woods got his new version of the Evap Canister available for sale recently and thought I'd put up some photos of it installed since I hadn't seen any yet.

Overall, the job is maybe 2 bananas out of 5. Some odd working angles and wrenching/cutting positions, but pretty straight ahead over all. I like that the parts are almost entirely stainless steel. Being a boat owner, I've really come to appreciate the value in using quality parts. The bracket is not nearly as big as the original, and probably lightened my jeep by 1+ lbs but holds the canister firmly in place and I have no doubt it will remain there unless I choose to remove it.

Install notes: There were a few things not noted in the instructions that I wished were included:
1. The need for 2 additional sockets, 13mm (likely 1/2") and 5/16; these are needed to tighten the provided hardware bolts for the bracket. Also, I chose to ziptie each hose to every connection the kit did not include enough to do this, but who doesn't have zipties laying around their house.
2. I think a photo was missing in the instructions at step 18 that might add clarity to some of my confusion in the following item 4.
3. either Step 1 or 2 could be slightly clearer in that you cut a 2" tube that is connecting the evap canister to another hose. once removed the hose is able to be rotated to the new position it will need to be in for hookup, none of this was mentioned explicitly, the video link was helpful though.
4. The kit includes 3 lengths of hoses and while it becomes apparent that the long and short are the ones connected to the 90 degree elbow provided, it would be nice to have it written as a preassembly action... The medium length connects to the hose that was rotated in number 3 above.

Here is the finished installation:
From the front;
You may note that the e-brake line bracket was removed, I ziptied the lines together to keep them from touching/bumping the canister

Side Shot: I ran the hoses and electric above everything else to keep them as far out of the way as possible.

From the rear bumper

for $50, you can't beat this kit, high quality parts that fit and only one hole had to be drilled.
Can't wait to install my steering stabilizer relo kit from Brett next week.

Last edited by Phantasm; 12-22-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really like that this kit simply relocates the canister out of harms way and eliminates the problem all together instea of just throwing a bigger heavier band aid(skid) around it.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:30 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for taking all the time to post this. I'll be going through the instructions with a fine tooth comb an making changes as needed.

Constructive criticism like this helps me and your fellow Jeepers and is always appreciated at Dominion Offroad.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:14 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get any error codes after install?
Old 12-23-2012, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting. I'd like to get this kit also. I'm also curious if you got any error codes since I heard this may happen.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine works great done it in 35mins in freezing col d no codes either
Old 12-24-2012, 12:45 PM
JK Freak

No codes so far, been less than a week, but keep in mind I ziptied every hose connection. I don't expect to get any. Ensure you keep te canister in the same orientation as original.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:34 AM
JK Freak

Default Throwing a Code

Originally Posted by Phantasm
No codes so far, been less than a week, but keep in mind I ziptied every hose connection. I don't expect to get any. Ensure you keep te canister in the same orientation as original.
UPDATE: I've been in Germany the past 2 years. The Jeep is being driven preiodically by a family member. My wife visited last September and the Jeep Engine Service light came on. She took it to a dealer and deteremined it was an Evap Code of some sort, it was reset and came back on a few days later. I wasn't there and it hasn't been addressed yet and probably won't for another year and a half when I get back to look at it. I cannot explicity say the relo caused the code, but there is an evap related code happening just under 3 years later. Could be attributed to it's lack of being driven regularly.

Quick Reply: Evap Relocation with Woods updated Kit for 07-10.