Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

EVAP Protection

Old 06-05-2009, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this debate has been going on since i joined the forum. and i bet it will continue for years to come.

personally, i relocated it. i have been to the dealer a few times and they gave me no problems with my relo-kit in place. it was easy as hell with the woods kit.

do what you want, its your rig.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Rockhard Relocation kit

I went with the Rockhard relocation kit, no drilling required.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:57 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a skid row evap skid and couldnt be happier, the fit and finish are great I have even jacked the left side of the Jeep up on this skid plate alone.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put on the rock hard skid. It offers good protection. But I am planning on climbing some rock. So I will probable be relocating it. I’m not sure the skid could take the force of it resting on a rock with out folding up enough to break the evaporator box. I vote to relocate.

Last edited by Red Dog; 06-05-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:32 AM
Former Vendor

Default Die-Tech Off-Road Evap. Relocation

As someone pointed out earlier, the question of whether to relocate or skid the evap. canister is becoming like the 4.88 or 5.13 gears question. At the end of the day if you do any offroading do yourself a favor and do something about the evap. canister. The stock evap. canister is in a bad position. Not only is it vulnerable, but it's at about the worst part where a poor breakover angle is most prominent. Putting a skid on it doesn't change that.

It's very possible to be coming off a rock or log on the front and forget about the one that came before it. That can put the full weight of your Jeep against the skid and canister. Would it catch you, or would it shear off? It's hard to say, but I think you can agree that the chance is there.

On the other hand, you're doing everything you can possibly do if you relocate it above the rear axle with a plate to protect it from hazards that want to get friendly.

Die-Tech Off-Road Evap. Relocation kit
Old 06-06-2009, 04:24 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm under warranty and with a finicky dealer on items related to emissions, I'm not going to relocate. As it's been said before, for guys whose JKs are well out of warranty and are regularly on the rocks, well, maybe relocation makes sense.

After comparison of products, I believe the Benchmark is the superior skid plate. I'm making my first trip to Moab in October and the BM skid along with other armor already added gives me confidence that I'll be able to drive back in one piece.

Informative thread despite the Ford v Chevy tone...

I'm ordering mine now (literally, in another window).
Old 06-06-2009, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by opdsgt
I'm under warranty and with a finicky dealer on items related to emissions, I'm not going to relocate. As it's been said before, for guys whose JKs are well out of warranty and are regularly on the rocks, well, maybe relocation makes sense.

After comparison of products, I believe the Benchmark is the superior skid plate. I'm making my first trip to Moab in October and the BM skid along with other armor already added gives me confidence that I'll be able to drive back in one piece.

Informative thread despite the Ford v Chevy tone...

I'm ordering mine now (literally, in another window).
Thanks!

Couldn't agree more with the Ford vs. Chevy comment. But what about us CTD guys?

Skid it or recocate it, everyone's going to have their preference and I don't think you can go wrong any way.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tgrt
As someone pointed out earlier, the question of whether to relocate or skid the evap. canister is becoming like the 4.88 or 5.13 gears question. At the end of the day if you do any offroading do yourself a favor and do something about the evap. canister. The stock evap. canister is in a bad position. Not only is it vulnerable, but it's at about the worst part where a poor breakover angle is most prominent. Putting a skid on it doesn't change that.

It's very possible to be coming off a rock or log on the front and forget about the one that came before it. That can put the full weight of your Jeep against the skid and canister. Would it catch you, or would it shear off? It's hard to say, but I think you can agree that the chance is there.

On the other hand, you're doing everything you can possibly do if you relocate it above the rear axle with a plate to protect it from hazards that want to get friendly.

Die-Tech Off-Road Evap. Relocation kit
very well stated, Why put on a skid when in fact it will lower you down even more! Why chance scrapping and catching the rocks. Why worry about hitting it, MOVE IT and forget about it. I did recently and I am relieved. Also when I did my research MOST Jeep owners are relocating just for that reason.

Regarding Warranty, I really don't believe this relocation will be an issue, UNLESS they can prove that this relocations was installed improperly or failed. Awfully had to prove. DON'T WORRY, be
happy.....
Old 06-06-2009, 07:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually have the Woods relocation kit - Never used it. Probably will throw it away. I bought it over a year ago and never got around to installing it. Nothing wrong it, just never could really get into the idea of having to relocate the evap. I recently bought Benchmark's skid - had it on in <5 minutes. I'm very happy with the fit and finish - and I think its a much easier and better overall strategy to protecting the evap.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JackMac4
I actually have the Woods relocation kit - Never used it. Probably will throw it away. I bought it over a year ago and never got around to installing it. Nothing wrong it, just never could really get into the idea of having to relocate the evap. I recently bought Benchmark's skid - had it on in <5 minutes. I'm very happy with the fit and finish - and I think its a much easier and better overall strategy to protecting the evap.
damn. i'm always a day late on these things. jack - i would have purchased your woods kit from you if i had known you weren't going to use it - just ordered die-tech's relocation kit.

about a month ago i was looking at the skidding option and probably would have gone that route but i purchased a relocation exhaust and the muffler is right up against the evap. i have no idea if the muffler will cause any issues with the evap, but i would just prefer to move it.

Quick Reply: EVAP Protection