Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Evap Cannister Question

Old 06-20-2011, 06:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evap Cannister Question

For the Evap Cannister, should I get the skid or relocation kit and why? They are the same price but I need to know which one is the better choice and why. It is pretty much the last thing that isn't protected.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:14 PM
JK Super Freak

I can't remember who makes it but someone just came out with a relocation kit that also has a skid.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by McPuck86
For the Evap Cannister, should I get the skid or relocation kit and why? They are the same price but I need to know which one is the better choice and why. It is pretty much the last thing that isn't protected.
Hey Don, how's it going?

I've installed a skid to my evap, because it was on sale and the installation was quite easy.

Sometime in the future I may look into relocating the evap to provide the (previously used) space to relocate my muffler. There are several relocation kits out there, and they simply remount the evap against the body on the passenger side, above the axle. It's pretty safe there.

I haven't have any problems with the skid, rubbed up against some rocks a bit, but that's all.

J. R.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:04 PM
JK Super Freak

I went skid to protect lifetime warranty stuff. I think only a handful have actually trashes it, and that was with no skid.

One day, it may get relocated when our JK is not a daily driver and other mods will have limited our warranty.

Pros: skid is EASY to install and pretty much a zero chance of messing anything up.
Cons: can still drag on rocks, but is at least protected
Old 06-20-2011, 08:09 PM
JK Jedi

skid to protect it , preferably one that has side armor. all it will take is a tree branch out on a trail to flip up and crack the plastic .
Old 06-20-2011, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went with the skid. Easy to install and protects it well. Been to moab, dishpan, and bullfrog with it. Got a few scratches, but it protected it well.

There's a thread out there, that mentions that relocation can sometimes throw off the codes. Also heard that in some cases, dealers will void warranty.

Don, based on your rig set-up, not sure you need more clearance, just armor in case a branch or rock kicks up there.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went with the skid as well. Got the MMRB skid at a great price so figured what the he'll might as well keep it right where it is and skid it.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the relocation kit from woods on the way, finally lol..after 3 years of wheeling in the stock location, it somehow never got trashed. Didn't want to push my luck anymore. I opted for this route on my 4 dr, because the skid is just something else to get hung up on when I already do alot lol
Old 06-21-2011, 04:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I went with Rockhard relocate kit. Took me about 20-30 minutes to relocate. The way I look at it is, just get it out of the way. Yeah, a skid will protect it, but if it's not there then that's just more clearance. I relocated about 3 months ago and no problems.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone have a write-up for this? I've been looking and can't find one.

Quick Reply: Evap Cannister Question