Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Evap canister relocation

Old 07-20-2009, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think there's any clear cut answer on the warranty issue with relocating the evap canisters. If you search, there are a number of posts where people have reported problems with the dealer, and an equal number that haven't had any problems. It's a crapshoot and depends on your dealer.

If you want a simple, cost-effective solution that only takes 5 minutes, go with the skid.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/sponsoring-manufacturers-vendors-check-out-cyber-monday-specials-24/benchmark-evap-skids-theyve-never-been-cheaper-94432/
Old 07-20-2009, 04:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Manager and a Tech are two different ball games. I could go with a few different examples on how a relocated canister would not be warrantied. I for one do not know Jeep's particular policy on such, but I can tell you if you had any related evaporative emissions leaks, that is where the finger would be pointed, and until that was returned to factory..they would not mess with it. So if your fuel tank gets punctured, but not enough to leak fuel, only vapor...they aren't going to waste their time smoking the entire evaporative emission system when someone has already altered it. They do not get paid to work on someone's "custom" work. If it's not factory, they do not have to mess with it. Period. Say your Cat is rattling/bad, could they say since you've relocated the canister the purge valve is not venting properly into the intake manifold, and causing an excessive lean condition that will over time kill the cat, but not throw a check engine light? Yes they could, would you or i know any better? Nope. Because they are the ones that dictate if the work gets done or not. If you feel strongly enough about it and decide to take them to court, they'll have to come up with some hard evidance on it, or is it worth your time to go through all of that?

Frankly my opinion is that it could post a problem, whether or not these vehicles are having problems yet with their evap systems yet (only been out 3 years) could be a possible reason why no warranty problems have been brought to your attention. Since last time I checked this warranty is good for 8 years. So say the evap canisters have a common problem at 5 years and they fill the fuel system full of junk, those that relocated it are screwed out of an entire fuel system. Those that didn't are not, because they did not alter the system. Things like that warranty does not want to fix, but they will if they have to. If they have an excuse they will not. So my moral is, don't move it and they can't hold anything against you. It is very possible that as these vehicles age more, more problems can come up, I'm sure everyone understands that. If it just happens to be a related system, you could have a warranty problem...
Manager and a Tech are two different ball games.....lol. Yep! Usually on Payday!!!!

That's a whole lot that says NOTHING. You said "Also voids the federal warranty on the evap equipment, which is 80,000 miles i believe. Just my 2cents, I'll be skidding" You have yet to prove your point. Also I would argue based on your lengthy post that the skid could void your warranty also (which it won't) since it is altering the vehicle.

Plane and simple.
Fact:
Skid= 18-20 extra lbs of extra weight to an already heavy vehicle.
Skid= 1" lower clearance in a crucial point on the vehicle.
Skid= great protection to the evap canister.
Opinion:
Skid=Warranty issues???? Doubtful

Relocation= No extra weight.
Relocation= extra clearance in a crucial point on the vehicle.
Relocation= Great protection to the evap canister.
Opinion:
Relocation= warranty issues????????? NOT YET. Doubtful
Old 07-20-2009, 05:37 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Benchmark Designs Inc.
I don't think there's any clear cut answer on the warranty issue with relocating the evap canisters. If you search, there are a number of posts where people have reported problems with the dealer, and an equal number that haven't had any problems. It's a crapshoot and depends on your dealer.

If you want a simple, cost-effective solution that only takes 5 minutes, go with the skid.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94432
I say go with the skid as well. I have had both solutions and like the skid much better - way easier to install and better protection. Only reason I'd not go with the skid is if you plan to relocate your muffler.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also say go with a skid. If I was working on my Cobra I'd be worried about the 20lb weight gain. On my Jeep I could care less. While it does lower ground clearance a bit, the gas tank skid, xfer case skid, and diffs all hang lower, so it's not like it's the lowest point on the vehicle. Plus it's a flat, smooth skid allowing you to just "skid" over stuff that does hit it, just like I do with the gas tank skid plate. In the rare circumstance I might get hung up on it, well, I would have that far to winch if I would.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dex1
Who makes a good set up to relocate the evap canister?
Thanks
I busted the EVIM ("valve") on mine before I skidded or relocated.
As part of the repair process, I relocated.

Cheap and simple.
See this DIY thread.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:20 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another skid vs. relocate thread. We have a relocation option( http://dietechoffroad.com/products/jkevapkit.htm) because we believe it's the best choice. The only risk in a relocation system is that you don't get the lines tight enough and you don't have vacuum. Relocating also gets the lines out of the way.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

DAMN!, and all I wanted to know was who made a good relocation set up!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm trying to think of a my Happy Place
Old 07-23-2009, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

I just installed the Die-Tech relocation kit. The install went very well. It was the best option for me. I fortunatly have a local dealer that first is still around and second is involved/supports various offroad functions and because of that they try thier best to work with the customer when it involves warranty issues/modifications. Its a common sense approach.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

From what I've heard you can't go wrong with the Woods Kit from Jeepswag.com.

If you change you mind and decide to skid it the Benchmark-Designs skid is one stout piece of protection.

There is no right or wrong answer despite all the verbal diarrhea on the topic.

Quick Reply: Evap canister relocation