Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Evap canister engine code

Old 10-22-2013, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evap canister engine code

Hey yall, I have been getting the dreaded gas cap check engine light for months now. Problem is, i followed a write up for a dynomax muffler relocation pre axle under the driver side floorboard. The write up was for a 4 door, not causing evap can issues but on my two door there isnt enough space apparently. I did the cheapest attempt at a fix by replacing the actual gas cap... Nothing. So I guess the next thing to do is order a new evap canister and an evap relocation kit. Not terribly expensive at around $65 each, but I wanted to hear yalls opinions first on any other steps I should take before throwing $130 at a hunch. Or any personal experience with this code? Thanks in advance guys
Old 10-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Former Vendor

What is the code number? p????
Old 10-22-2013, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

It is P0440
Old 10-22-2013, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't go and buy a kit. I used the stock bracket, 5 ft of 5/8 fuel line, 4 nuts, bolts and washers, 4 hose clamps, and some tie straps. I will add a pic later. This is on a 2013 jku.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Csciam1
not causing evap can issues but on my two door there isnt enough space apparently.
What exactly do you mean by this? Are you saying the Evap canister is very close to the muffler?

Did you inspect the whole area (canister, hoses, fittings, ect.) for holes or cracks? Do you have everything connected correctly or did something pop off?

Leaks in the Evap area can cause this code to be set. It could be other items as well but I would check that 1st. You could always just start throwing parts at it and hope you fix it but it is always much better to look at problems systematically and repair the issue as quickly and cheap as possible.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4

What exactly do you mean by this? Are you saying the Evap canister is very close to the muffler?

Yes, On a 2 dr, the evap is very close to where I relocated the muffler. On a 4 door, there is much more room. I neglected to figure that out beforehand. So I do think a evap relocate is best no matter what because of the space requirements. I'm thinking I will do that regardless and also do a very thorough inspection on the canister and all the hoses while I am moving it
Old 10-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Csciam1
Yes, On a 2 dr, the evap is very close to where I relocated the muffler. On a 4 door, there is much more room. I neglected to figure that out beforehand. So I do think a evap relocate is best no matter what because of the space requirements. I'm thinking I will do that regardless and also do a very thorough inspection on the canister and all the hoses while I am moving it
That is a good plan. Just make sure all of the hoses get hooked up correctly with tight seals. Good luck with your project.

Quick Reply: Evap canister engine code