Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Euro Tail lights?

Old 05-30-2008, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also like your rear bumper.
Going to have to do some searching for those tail lights. What's really neat is the insignia below the handle on the tailgate. Wish I had that insignia.

I wish I had that insignia as well... Well wait, does that engine increase towing capacity?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

The light in the bumper is a high intensity red fog light and a red reflector. The photo is a bad one, the reflector is showing orange but is actually red. The amber turn signal is in the main tail cluster along with the reverse lamp and stop/tail lamp. The Euro tail lamp does not have the reflector around the preimiter of the lens and does not have the red side marker. If you want them just order them from a Jeep dealer, but the wiring harness is different and a lot harder to change than you think because of the TIPM module which controls all the lighting.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mike pavelin
The light in the bumper is a high intensity red fog light and a red reflector. The photo is a bad one, the reflector is showing orange but is actually red. The amber turn signal is in the main tail cluster along with the reverse lamp and stop/tail lamp. The Euro tail lamp does not have the reflector around the preimiter of the lens and does not have the red side marker. If you want them just order them from a Jeep dealer, but the wiring harness is different and a lot harder to change than you think because of the TIPM module which controls all the lighting.
You don't think I could just replace the lens set up and plug the bulbs into the new housing?

If anyone figures this out please post the results. I would like to do this if it's not too difficult or too expensive. I have an "in" and the DCX HQ that says he can get me the lens housing but he's not sure about the wiring.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

Because the US version has the red turn/brake light setup it isn't easy. I have a friend who shipped a JK from California to the UK and had to convert to orange turn signals. The lighting configuration is set in the TIPM and cannot be changed. Attempting to reconfigure it with Starscan failed miserably and drove all the other modules crazy, so he had to rewire and fool the TIPM that it still had the US lighting.
The brake lights were disconnected from both sides and wired into the center brake light harness. The orange turn signals were wired to the corresponding front turn signals. Resistors had to be wired into the original turn/brake harness to fool the TIPM into thinking the bulbs were still wired in to avoid the sgnals flashing at double speed.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

The badge under the rear door handle looks like CDR = Common Rail Deisel.
I think that what it is.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

UK tail lights look like this :-

And a nice pic of the CRD badge you seem to like

Old 05-30-2008, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

wow. i just notice the price for the jeeps in the uk there. expensive 22, 000 pounds (GBR money) wrangler base on a 4 door, im not sure what us is but Canada base is around 25000 - 28000 CAD!!! well that was when the USD was higher, probably cheaper now..but they get the option of diesel, but i guess euro diesel is better anyway..
Old 05-31-2008, 01:15 AM
JK Newbie

yup, everything is mad expensive in the UK - Road tax for my JK is currently $800 / year and next year it'll be $900. Diesel is now $2.60 PER LITRE.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteveJK
yup, everything is mad expensive in the UK - Road tax for my JK is currently $800 / year and next year it'll be $900. Diesel is now $2.60 PER LITRE.

$2.60 a litre?! And I thought it was expensive here at $1.30! And the scary thing is, diesel is cheaper than gas in Europe right?
Old 05-31-2008, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

No, diesel is about $0.30 / litre more

Quick Reply: Euro Tail lights?