Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Esp Sucks

Old 03-29-2007, 12:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe mine was just a skidding light and not esp heck i don't know my brakes were applied by something and then seen a little light with a picture of a jeep skidding out of control :confused:
Old 03-29-2007, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SLICKWILL
sucks mine came on and wont go off. i hate esp lol

Just curious, was this happening before you halfway submerged your jeep? Sounds like you really did a number on it.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by cablerep79
Just curious, was this happening before you halfway submerged your jeep? Sounds like you really did a number on it.
NO IT STARTED RIGHT AFTER THE LIFT WENT ON I THOUGHT IT WAS THE NORMAL ESP ACTING UP
Old 03-31-2007, 06:26 AM
JK Super Freak

hey ok, i took it to my dealer and this is what they told me....

they think its a bad sensor so the ordered it under warranty

both difs drained not spec of dirt or water in them form when i was sunk.

should have the parts in a few days but not to worry they said nothing damaged its driving ok and dont let the light worry me...

i just hope its really ok and the new sensors will fix it

and they could not get my trans to act up again so they said wait till it gets bad then bring it back it will be under warranty though
Old 03-31-2007, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Me too...I do the same! It drives fine that way!

Originally Posted by jerzeyjeep
i get the ESP slam everytime i go around a bend too fast. i just said f it and turn it off everytime i get in my jeep. sux having a dash light on a new vechile but it beets brake wear and possibly breaking an axle.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SLICKWILL
hey ok, i took it to my dealer and this is what they told me....

they think its a bad sensor so the ordered it under warranty

both difs drained not spec of dirt or water in them form when i was sunk.

should have the parts in a few days but not to worry they said nothing damaged its driving ok and dont let the light worry me...

i just hope its really ok and the new sensors will fix it

and they could not get my trans to act up again so they said wait till it gets bad then bring it back it will be under warranty though
They ordered some kind of steering sensor for mine and will be putting it on tuesday! Hope it cures all.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah i have an 07 X with a rough country 2" suspension lift, drove around for about 3 months no prob. then the ABS,ESP/BAS, and the car with the lines behind it came on. went to one dealer (the one i bought it from) and they said it was cause of the lift and it was going to cost me 96-106$ to look at it and if it was under warrenty they would cover it. so i called another dealer they sade the same thing. so i called a diff. one told em they said bring it in and we will take a look at it, brought it in and they didnt say anything about the lift they looked at it, had it over night called me the next day and said it was the ABS WHEEL SPEED SENSOR and ABS CAP. had it fixed and no probs sense,

but i did have an aligment done at sears they didnt hook up the front stablizer shock they left the 2 u bolts loose, i got the DEATH WOBLE at 55 then again at 45, took it home found out they didnt tighten that shock so i took it back got my money back and had no probs. now im getting it at about 45-55 ONLY when i hit a bump, what would cause this? i just have the 2" lift and stock 17" rims and stock tires.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:56 AM
JK Jedi

I got the ESP BAS light one time after apparently taking a 180 degree exit ramp a little too fast, the Jeep's reaction was more violent than I expected. Anyways the BAS light stayed on for several more miles, I then stopped in a parking lot, turned the Jeep off and then back on and the BAS light was off and hasn't been seen since. I have had my ESP light come on in a few traction loss situations, no big deal (my JK is stock).

Another option you have for eliminating the ESP issues is wiring in the toggle switch like sevral have done on here, it will actually turn the system off, but I think you will lose ABS as well. There is a write-up on here for that.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Sometimes, with large tires, like those Boggers...the diameters are a bit different, even if off a few PSI, or when a side warmed up more due to friction on turns, etc.....the larger the tire, the more of a difference this stuff makes.

So - when going around a turn on knobby boggers, the tires themselves change shape as they roll those big lugs over, etc...and esp systems, etc...translate that into slippage, and try to correct it.

Other stuff, like the steering wheel not being perfectly centered, (Happens after a lift all the time...), can ALSO trigger these reactions, as the steering input and the tire speeds expected "In the turn", also set of the attempted corrections....

add both scenarios together, with the fact that it can be difficult to BALANCE big boggers, which ALSO creates vibes at resonance speeds (Particular speeds, and not at others sometimes), or simply worsening vibes as speeds increase...

And its easy to see why you have issues.

Add the good points made by others above to this, and it is even MORE likely, etc.

Have Fun!
Old 12-28-2007, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
I got the ESP BAS light one time after apparently taking a 180 degree exit ramp a little too fast, the Jeep's reaction was more violent than I expected. Anyways the BAS light stayed on for several more miles, I then stopped in a parking lot, turned the Jeep off and then back on and the BAS light was off and hasn't been seen since. I have had my ESP light come on in a few traction loss situations, no big deal (my JK is stock).

Another option you have for eliminating the ESP issues is wiring in the toggle switch like sevral have done on here, it will actually turn the system off, but I think you will lose ABS as well. There is a write-up on here for that.
Does anyone know for sure if you lose ABS with the ESP kill switch. Or airbags?

Quick Reply: Esp Sucks