Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Esp Sucks

Old 03-29-2007, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Esp Sucks

hey guys

what are you doing about our esp after lifting your jk

mine is always on and it dosn't seem to cause problems but its annoying any way to fix this or to turn it off? ive had it alingned 2 times and still wont go away also it is very odd, between 0-25 drives great. 25-40 shakes like a b***h
then 40 and over its great again... i lost some wheel weights off roading could this be the cause?

thanks
will
Old 03-29-2007, 06:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i get the ESP slam everytime i go around a bend too fast. i just said f it and turn it off everytime i get in my jeep. sux having a dash light on a new vechile but it beets brake wear and possibly breaking an axle.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:46 AM
JK Super Freak

good idea ill try it i think im going to go with the beeds that blance it from the inside so i dont lose the weights again
Old 03-29-2007, 06:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jerzeyjeep
i get the ESP slam everytime i go around a bend too fast. i just said f it and turn it off everytime i get in my jeep. sux having a dash light on a new vechile but it beets brake wear and possibly breaking an axle.
mine shows 2 lights

one is the car skiding around ( i can turn that one off by hitting the esp button)

the second one is ESP BAS cant turn it off always on no idea what it is

you guys????
Old 03-29-2007, 07:06 AM
JK Super Freak

dose anyone know what ESP BAS is

did i break something??????
Old 03-29-2007, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

BAS stands for Brake Assist System. The manual says that if the ESP BAS light comes on that there is a malfunction in Either the ESP or BAS system, and to take it to the dealer right away. Supposedly the Traction Control/ESP light means that the system is currently trying to correct slide or wheel spin, while the ESP BAS means that one of the two systems (or both) is NOT working. I guess that means that there could be nothing wrong with your BAS, and that your ESP thinks there is a problem because it is constantly on, but I dont know enough about it for a definitive answer. I know that doesnt provide much help, but thats all the manual will give us.

Last edited by crusher; 03-29-2007 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:29 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, that indicator does signal a problem with the ESP/BAS system. It is most likely caused by your lift. I had it come on once when I was wheelin (stock height) but as soon as I got going at a steady speed it went off and has never come on since. The service dept. may be able to give you some suggestions, but chances are they'll just blame your lift.

The actual BAS function is part of the TCS (traction control system) that is integrated into the ESP. It electronically simulates a limited slip differential by using the brakes to transfer power to the tire that has the most traction. It is also the only part of the system that cannot be turned off (see this post).
Old 03-29-2007, 07:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by crusher
BAS stands for Brake Assist System. The manual says that if the ESP BAS light comes on that there is a malfunction in Either the ESP or BAS system, and to take it to the dealer right away. Supposedly the Traction Control/ESP light means that the system is currently trying to correct slide or wheel spin, while the ESP BAS means that one of the two systems (or both) is NOT working. I guess that means that there could be nothing wrong with your BAS, and that your ESP thinks there is a problem because it is constantly on, but I dont know enough about it for a definitive answer. I know that doesnt provide much help, but thats all the manual will give us.
damn just called the dealer trying to bring it in tomorrow
Old 03-29-2007, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

According to the owner's manual:

ESP/BAS Warning Lamp
The malfunction indicator lamp for the ESP is
combined with the BAS indicator. The yellow
“ESP/BAS Warning Lamp” in the instrument
cluster comes on when the ignition switch is
turned to the “ON” position. It should go out with the
engine running.
If the “ESP/BAS Warning Lamp” comes on continuously
with the engine running, a malfunction has been detected
in either the ESP or the BAS system, or both. If this light
remains on after several ignition cycles, and the vehicle
has been driven several miles at speeds greater than 30
mph (48 km/h), see your authorized dealer as soon as
possible to have the problem diagnosed and corrected.
NOTE:
• The ESP/BAS Warning Lamp comes on momentarily
each time the ignition switch is turned ON.
• Each time the ignition is turned ON, the ESP System
will be ON even if it was turned off previously.
• The ESP Control System will make buzzing or clicking
sounds when it is active. This is normal; the sounds
will stop when ESP becomes inactive following the
maneuver that caused the ESP activation.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLICKWILL
hey guys

what are you doing about our esp after lifting your jk

mine is always on and it dosn't seem to cause problems but its annoying any way to fix this or to turn it off? ive had it alingned 2 times and still wont go away also it is very odd, between 0-25 drives great. 25-40 shakes like a b***h
then 40 and over its great again... i lost some wheel weights off roading could this be the cause?

thanks
will
what is happening with your JK is called the "death wobble" it is caused by your caster angle being to far forward. you may need adj. upper control arms on the front of your JK to fix this problem. I don't think cam bolts will adjust it back enough to get rid of it.
as for the esp/bas problem alot of you are having I haven't had one problem with mine after the lift(4" Teraflex)

Quick Reply: Esp Sucks