Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ESP problems with lift??????

Old 12-12-2006, 08:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay... I went throught the manual for a little clarity and this is what I came up with:

There are 3 modes for using ESP: "On", "Partial Off" and "Off".

"On" is pretty self explanatory.

"Partial Off" (4-high or 2wd only) is the mode that is entered when you press the "ESP off" button. It turns off the TCS (traction control) portion of ESP, but leaves on the other ESP functions. Jeep recommends this for snow, sand or gravel to gain more traction. Even though the TCS is off, the limited slip function of the TCS remains active.

"Off" mode can be engaged in 4-high by holding the "ESP Off" button for 5 seconds while stopped with the engine running. According to the manual, all ESP and TCS functions are turned off except for limited slip.

There is also an automatic ESP setting for 4-low, in which the setting is automatically switched to off when the transfer case is shifted to 4-low. It stays that way unless your speed reaches 40mph, at which point, it re-engages ESP.

Last edited by doojer; 12-12-2006 at 08:57 AM. Reason: fixed a couple things... :)
Old 12-13-2006, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke with the Superlift Western Rep yesterday. He advised me that they worked directly with Chrysler on lifting the new Jk. (They won an award at Sema for their lift). He advised that the dealer can reprogram the PCM up to a 35" tire, he also advised that the adjustable track helps out alot with bump steer.(Which I have)
I contacted my buddy at the dealer and he brought home the Diamler/Chrysler scan tool. We tried to reset the tire diameter but could only go to a 32" tire.
There is a new PCM update that just came out for my JK, Ill let everyone know if the new update fixes the ESP problem.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good reference thread. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ESP goes off on the same exit each time. Must be the way it is banked because I am not going that fast.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

ok I have a problem with the esp. I finished my lift, I put almost 50 miles on the Jeep, and coming home bucking a side wind the lights came on but no other actions were noticable, I saw that the wheel was not quite perfect, so I reset it and I cannot get the light to go off..... .....any suggestions?:confused:
Old 03-02-2007, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

Disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes. It should reset. Ive been experimenting with the ESP. Mine goes off every time in a certain curve on my way home from work.
Last night I came home late from a late night snow run and left my sway bar unhooked. Well low and behold the ESP never came on through those curves. Then I tried it this morning on the way to work , nothing. You would think the lean of the vehicle without the sway bar hooked would cause it to be worse!!!
Old 03-02-2007, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I already tried disconnecting the battery, I stopped in and saw my trusted Jeep Mechanic and he tested it and I was over the 15degree limit when bucking the wind, he took care of it for me,

Thanks
Old 03-06-2007, 07:08 PM
JK Newbie

There's definitely a learning curve to the ECM for the ESP. After my last snow run my ESP no longer activates on the curves too my house. Its seems that it works as it was intended now!
Old 03-07-2007, 10:01 AM
JK Jedi Master

Is the esp tied in with the body roll of the jeep? It does have anti roll system.

I didnt have any problems with the esp until i was on some tight curves the other day. and it was kicking in and other curves I took that were just as tight, it did not kick in,....
Old 03-07-2007, 10:04 AM
JK Freak

hmmm... check your alignment... well the alignment should be fine, check to be sure your steering wheel is properly centered.

Quick Reply: ESP problems with lift??????