Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ESP Problems for 08's??

Old 01-07-2008, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ESP Problems for 08's??

I have been heavily researching what I plan on doing to my new 08', and have worked with Desert Rat with my last two wranglers, and they are great.

However, they have told me that the ESP programming cannot handle indifferent tire diameters than the stock 32" on the Rubicon. They said that after they would lift the jeep with bigger tires, the vehicle would jerk and yaw as the ESP program would kick in and jerk the vehicle around. Currently they said someone is working on a fix for the programming, but until then just to drive with the ESP off...

Is this strictly an 08' issue? Does it directly correlate with automatic transmissions? Is this really being resolved?

I love the new JK with all of its safety features, such as ESP, and must admit this is the safest I have ever felt driving a wrangler....but when I toss on the 37's the ESP feature is something I would hate to loose...any help would be appreciated...thank you
Old 01-07-2008, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

Welcome to the Forums here. I see this is your first post, and many would tell you to do a quick "search" for the topics you are looking for. There is a TON of info on here (most of it good).

Have a blast wheelin', and check out the link above with a search of "ESP & BAS"
Old 01-07-2008, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Its not just a 98 problem. It happens to ALL JK-7 or 08 that are lifted. The major thing that you have to do after you lift your vehicle is to re-center your steering wheel. If takes care of most of the problems but the ESP will come on if you go around a corner to fast. With the higher center of gravity, it causes the ESP to activate more frequently. You will learn how fast it takes to activate it and you'll get a use to it. Not a MAJOR safty issue IMO. Remeber its a jeep and all jeeps should be customized!!
Old 01-07-2008, 03:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm new here to, I don't think it causes any major problems, I just bought my 08 X a week ago and the dealer I bought it from has 08's on the lot with 3" lift and 35's. They come with a full factory warrantee. I would imagine if it caused problems they would not take the risk. I'm sure someone here will have more info on this issue than me, being as I'm a newb.

Wheelerbob
Old 01-07-2008, 04:01 PM
JK Junkie

I don't have 37's but I do have 2 1/2 inches of lift and 34's and I have no ESP issues....and a few weeks ago when driving in the snow the ESP does a great job.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

I was planning on doing a 4" Teraflex with 5:13s; so do you think the re-gearing may cause an issue? How about the auto transmission? Thanks for all of your repsonses, the are greatly appreciated...
Old 01-09-2008, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

Okay, sounds like no one has had any problems...thanks for the help
Old 01-09-2008, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have had issue only with long RT turns (i.e., clover leaf turnarounds) when i try to accelerate thru them (i have a heavy right foot) or tight right turns...again heavy on the skinny pedal . thats about it
(see my sig for my set-up).
Old 01-10-2008, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

There is an adjustment. I just got my JK back last night and the Shop Tech said you may or may not get the ESP light kick in when your cornering or on a exit ramp. It did this morning. First time ever since Ive own it. I just need to have them adjust the sensitivity when I bring it in for the re-torque. No Biggie, but it scared the Hell out of me when it came on.

Quick Reply: ESP Problems for 08's??