Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ESP Kill Switch Write-up

Old 02-11-2010, 08:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Riptide
I guess it depends on where you live. While this is great to have to off road (especially in snow - haven't tried mud yet), the ESP is actually nice to have on the roads during the winter. Having the ability to turn it off, then back on as needed will be great. And all that's needed is to cut a wire, run some wire, and hook up a switch...
Kinda what I was gettin at.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think if you try running it all the time even in winter you'll find the Jeep handles and stops better. I live near Edmonton and I've had mine off all winter and I prefer it to having all that nanny crap on all the time.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rozzman10
what if i just cut the wires and say to hell with te switch.. will my jeep blow up or eject me out of the roof?
inspection will be a problem because it will be throwing ESP/BAS/ABS error codes
Old 02-11-2010, 10:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by x No Compromise Offroad x
inspection will be a problem because it will be throwing ESP/BAS/ABS error codes
no inspections here in the good state of TN.. or none that i have had lol..

Originally Posted by mkjeep
You can just cut the wire, that breaks the circuit. But installing a switch will give you on demand control, there are times in normal operating mode this system is good to have. But, no your jk won't explode you'll just have those annoying lights ALL the time. A simple monetary switch is all you need and it'll reset every time you kill the engine. Or, just cut the wire and say to hell with all that crap.
i know whatcha mean.. i think i would like another switch.. who doesnt love switches everywhere that light up and make cool click noises when you turn them on lol..
Old 02-11-2010, 11:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rozzman10
no inspections here in the good state of TN.. or none that i have had lol..
well....looks like I'm moving out that way soon then
Old 02-12-2010, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

Default Would this fix my problem

I was playing in the sloppy stuff a couple weeks ago and my tire pressure monitor light came on. been checking my tires pretty religiously since, always within a pound or two.. I pump them all up cold to 36 and then drive around light never resets.. so as I was driving home from playing around i noticed my allignment was off and then my esp and bas lights came on permenantly. since then my traction has been totally f*cked.. i cant disable traction control anymore with my esp off switch, and i cant drift in 2Hi, im getting stuck in little snow piles in 4wd that my girlfriends fwd can get out of.. this is a serious problem as now is prime mud time..
when i push the gas pedal down the engine wont rev.. its like theres some governer on just how much spinning of the wheels I can do..

would all my problems be fixed if I just snipped the wire? what if i damaged something that reports wheel spin to the comp..? will snipping this wire put me in complete control of traction until I decide to address why this stupid ass light is on? Im only concidering this if the brake assist, thats keeping me from being able to mash the skinny pedal, goes away! I understand thats abs and all that is also disabled but I cant even drive anymore.. im desperate
Old 02-12-2010, 10:33 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Michaelm1105
I was playing in the sloppy stuff a couple weeks ago and my tire pressure monitor light came on. been checking my tires pretty religiously since, always within a pound or two.. I pump them all up cold to 36 and then drive around light never resets.. so as I was driving home from playing around i noticed my allignment was off and then my esp and bas lights came on permenantly. since then my traction has been totally f*cked.. i cant disable traction control anymore with my esp off switch, and i cant drift in 2Hi, im getting stuck in little snow piles in 4wd that my girlfriends fwd can get out of.. this is a serious problem as now is prime mud time..
when i push the gas pedal down the engine wont rev.. its like theres some governer on just how much spinning of the wheels I can do..

would all my problems be fixed if I just snipped the wire? what if i damaged something that reports wheel spin to the comp..? will snipping this wire put me in complete control of traction until I decide to address why this stupid ass light is on? Im only concidering this if the brake assist, thats keeping me from being able to mash the skinny pedal, goes away! I understand thats abs and all that is also disabled but I cant even drive anymore.. im desperate
It's most likely you knocked your steering wheel out of center, re-center it.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:51 PM
JK Freak

im not sure if my steering wheel has ever been center lol.. i have turned it all around to clear the jam nuts of my steering stabalizer and one time i had it aligned they threw if off center.. and i have never had ESP light come on.. even between putting lift on and alignment..
Old 02-13-2010, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

If I may ask, how do you re-center a steering wheel? Is it done at the steering wheel or someplace underneath the vehicle? (front end part?)

When I am driving in a straight line, mine is off center slightly. I have no problems arising from it though...
Old 02-13-2010, 01:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by mowbizz
If I may ask, how do you re-center a steering wheel? Is it done at the steering wheel or someplace underneath the vehicle? (front end part?)

When I am driving in a straight line, mine is off center slightly. I have no problems arising from it though...
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment

Quick Reply: ESP Kill Switch Write-up