Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ESP Kill Switch Write-up

Old 02-03-2010, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07rubisteve
cheers,

-Locate the purple wire with a light blue stripe. (you will see another purple sire with a dark blue stripe so make sure you get the light blue one) There are several wires that are close, but you should be able to pick it out easily. Once you are confident you have the correct wire – cut it!
CUT THE PURPLE WIRE WITH THE STRAIGHT LIGHT BLUE STRIPE! NOT THE COILED LIGHT BLUE STRIPE THAT IS YOUR AIRBAG.

Did this mod today. Took an hour and a half because I cut the wrong wire first. Would have only taken 45 minutes. I used crimp style connections and heat shrink tubing instead of tape. Now I have desert racer mode. Great write up except the minor detail about which purple wire with light blue stripe.

Last edited by garrett490; 02-03-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:48 AM
JK Junkie

[QUOTE=garrett490;1546130][QUOTE=07rubisteve;1298118]
cheers,

-Locate the purple wire with a light blue stripe. (you will see another purple sire with a dark blue stripe so make sure you get the light blue one) There are several wires that are close, but you should be able to pick it out easily. Once you are confident you have the correct wire – cut it!

CUT THE PURPLE WIRE WITH THE STRAIGHT LIGHT BLUE STRIPE! NOT THE COILED LIGHT BLUE STRIPE THAT IS YOUR AIRBAG.

Did this mod today. Took an hour and a half because I cut the wrong wire first. Would have only taken 45 minutes. I used crimp style connections and heat shrink tubing instead of tape. Now I have desert racer mode. Great write up except the minor detail about which purple wire with light blue stripe.
Glad you got it......I cannot take credit for the write up, as another mbr here wrote it a couple years ago, I just made sure I saved it....it is an easy mod to do, with awesome results.....enjoy your new found free wheelin 2 wheel drive mode....
Old 02-07-2010, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Piece of cake! Mounted the witch in pillar by the windshield. We are suppose to get a lot of snow this week, can't wait to try it out!

Matt
Old 02-11-2010, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

So does this mod disable the ABS or does it just trigger the lamp?
Old 02-11-2010, 06:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DjCO2
So does this mod disable the ABS or does it just trigger the lamp?
disables ABS (Antilock Braking System), BAS (Brake Assist System), and ESP (Electronic Stability Program)

ABS-- no pumping of brakes when slammed (don't ask how I proved that lol)

BAS-- no braking applied when fooling around

ESP-- no "limp mode" horse power drop when there is body roll or tire spin

all tested by yours truly a couple years ago when I did this mod making sure all is disabled lol

Last edited by x No Compromise Offroad x; 02-11-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

Ok so in my '08 when i press and hold the ESP button for full off, Yall are saying that it will still kick in at a certain speed.

If thats true than on my '08 this is the only way to truly turn off the Stability program. Is that true?
Old 02-11-2010, 06:41 PM
JK Newbie

Ok.. So, if a re-flash plus the steering wheel dance on an 07, the ESP will be disabled permanently but not the BAS? Doesn't the BAS have a lot to do with ESP slowing down whichever axle end it has to to provide stability? In other words, if I do the re-flash, will I still get the same "brake jerking" reaction when I'm making a sweeping turn because of the brake assist or is that happening becaus of the electronic stability?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 07rubisteve
I'm not sure why the thread disappeared, but it was removed. I will let the moderators determine if it should be here or not. If they see fit, they can edit this post.....

Okay here you go, this is the exact instructions that I copied from that post that has mysteriously been deleted. I don't remember the forum member that posted them, but this is HIS instructions. To clarify, what I found,..just make sure it is the Purple wire with the thin light blue stripe. Follow the directions as close as you can as outlined below. Sorry I don't have any pics. Good luck.....I got it on the first try....I will add that, I keep my jeep on factory settings for on road use, as I prefer to keep ABS activated, but only use this aftermarket custom feature for offroad use......

I am not encouraging or condoning anyone to do this, nor am I responsible for any issues that could arise after that resulted from doing this mod, but merely forwarding the original posted information on how to....Use at your own discretion on and off road hereafter... see below original post...

cheers,

Steve
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Once complete, when you want to switch the ESP you just flick the switch off. When you flip the switch the three lights on the dash will turn on and stay on until you turn your Jeep off and start it again. The ESP and ABS will remain disabled until you turn the switch back on, turn off and restart the Jeep.

Tools/supplies needed: wire cutter, wire stripper, razor knife, soldering iron, solder, couple feet of wire, drill, toggle switch, electrical tape.

*note* I soldered all the joints but you could use crimp style connectors if thats your cup of tea.

-First figure out where you are going to mount your switch and cut two pieces of wire long enough to run from the spliced joints to the.
-Remove panel below steering wheel. You really only need to do this if you are going to put your switch in the same area as I did.
-Locate the bundle of wires on the right side of the foot-well. Mine was not tapped up – If yours is, you will need to remove the tape using a razor knife or similar
-Now is a good time to put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position. If you have cut the correct wire there should be three lights that stay illuminated: esp/abs/the sliding vehicle
-Prepare the wire you just cut by striping and then tinning the ends with solder. Also, strip and tin the new lengths of wire you are going to run to the switch. Once you have them prepared, solder the wires together.
-Wrap the soldered joints with electrical tape.
-Drill a hole in the dash to mount the switch. Route the spliced wires through the dash and to the area you are mounting your switch. I mounted mine on the dash above the speaker. I’m not detailing how to get access to the back of this area as it’s easy to pull the vent out and pop of the side panel.
-Solder the wires to the toggle switch. The lead that is running towards the rear of the Jeep is attached to pin 1.
-Slide the toggle switch through the hole and put on the retaining nut.
-Put the Dash back together.
-I also wrapped the bundle of wires up with electrical tape because I wanted to keep my work tucked away so to speak"
what if i just cut the wires and say to hell with te switch.. will my jeep blow up or eject me out of the roof?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rozzman10
what if i just cut the wires and say to hell with te switch.. will my jeep blow up or eject me out of the roof?
You can just cut the wire, that breaks the circuit. But installing a switch will give you on demand control, there are times in normal operating mode this system is good to have. But, no your jk won't explode you'll just have those annoying lights ALL the time. A simple monetary switch is all you need and it'll reset every time you kill the engine. Or, just cut the wire and say to hell with all that crap.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mkjeep
You can just cut the wire, that breaks the circuit. But installing a switch will give you on demand control, there are times in normal operating mode this system is good to have. But, no your jk won't explode you'll just have those annoying lights ALL the time. A simple monetary switch is all you need and it'll reset every time you kill the engine. Or, just cut the wire and say to hell with all that crap.
I guess it depends on where you live. While this is great to have to off road (especially in snow - haven't tried mud yet), the ESP is actually nice to have on the roads during the winter. Having the ability to turn it off, then back on as needed will be great. And all that's needed is to cut a wire, run some wire, and hook up a switch...

Quick Reply: ESP Kill Switch Write-up