Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ESP Kill Switch Write-up

Old 08-26-2009, 10:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you got it khaiwi......you need a good light in the footwell to see the wires clearly, and there are a few that are very close, hense your booboo.....but all is well now, and you can drift and do donuts now whenever you want
Old 08-26-2009, 11:04 AM
JK Junkie

Here's a few pics i took of where I put my switch......I just added enough wire to install it in a fairly covert place, right up under the footwell, where it can't bumped or seen....the switch is mounted to a metal plate that bolted perfectly.....when I need it, just reach down and diasble done.....This way the dealership can't see it, or activate it by accident or on purpose....I prefer this one to be out of sight....

Last edited by 07rubisteve; 01-21-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:04 PM
JK Freak

Default Another Dumb one...

Ok, maybe I am missing something... why wouldn't you just use the factory switch?

Old 08-26-2009, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

the switches down there are not load capable, more like circuitry switches. you need a good toggle switch for a line break. There isn't enough room behind that stock switch bank for toggle switch either. I tried to put my off road lights toggle down there. oh well
Too bad the stock ESP off doesn't fully disable in 4hi. I wouldn't have to guess around.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drcre8tive
Ok, maybe I am missing something... why wouldn't you just use the factory switch?

That swithc does not Fully turn off the ESP/ If guys are wheling in mud, and - or, doing any slippery hill climbs, then most NEED wheel spin. The BLD, and ESP will not allow any wheel spin unless the front and rear have FULL LOCKERS engaged.

My 98 TJ with open diffs does better on hill climbs because of wheel spin. HOWEVER, the BLD doe work very well if you are used to driving one. It does require a different style per-say. Instead of getting in the gas for wheel spin, use a steady pressure on the gas, and allow the JK to find traction. 9 times out of 10 the BLD will work with out wheel. Most peopla are not used to this type of traction aid though.

3 Inch BDS Lift
35x12.5x16 Yokohama Geolander AT/S
16x8 Cragar Soft 8 Black Steel Wheels
Custom front Winch Bumper from RoundStar OffRoad
Mopar Offroad Rear Bumper
Oilpan/Tranny skid Plate by Skid Row
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Skyjacker Brake line extenders
Skyjacker Adj Rear track bar
High Clearance Adj Front Lower Control Arms by RocKrawler
RocKrawler Front Lower Control Arm Mounting Bracket/Skid Plates
Warrior Products Rear Safari Doors
Plenty of ROCKRASH
Old 09-02-2009, 09:34 AM
JK Junkie

The only reason I did this mod, was to be able to drift and do donuts in 2wd ....specifically during winter.....I remember 2 years ago, trying to force my rig to drift or do a donut while winter wheelin with my brother in his TJ.....he was having all the fun, drifting forever, and I was having to constantly fight the abs/bas from trying to straighten me out. As soon as I found this mod write up, I did it, and have never looked back.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to do this so I can video some burnouts and related things using what little tread is on my stock tires with the new 6.1 HEMI! Then, I'll cheerfully go home and put on the 37's and be nice

I wonder if I can get all 4 to light up together?
Old 01-07-2010, 03:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After an hour trying the manual recommended steering wheel seven second dance, I'm just about ready to go with this mod. What size switch will I need to use (how many amp)?
Thanks,
Nathan
Old 01-21-2010, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

The switch I used is just a small (micro) momentary button, there is no real amp draw accross the switch so a micro from Radio Shack will work fine.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 0311sgt
That swithc does not Fully turn off the ESP/ If guys are wheling in mud, and - or, doing any slippery hill climbs, then most NEED wheel spin. The BLD, and ESP will not allow any wheel spin unless the front and rear have FULL LOCKERS engaged.
My 09 Owners Manual states that if I hold in the ESP off button for 7 seconds or so while in 4 hi with the engine running everything is turned off except the TSC(Trailer Sway Control)

Quick Reply: ESP Kill Switch Write-up