Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ESP Kill Switch Write-up

Old 08-06-2012, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just lifted my 2007 (RE 3.5) and put 35's on it. Love the new setup but don't like the "bucking/jumping" it does when I'm making tight turns on concrete. The ESP light illuminates on the dash and the vehicle "bucks" or "jumps" like crazy. If I push the ESP button it helps right then and there but it does re-enable itself somehow. I need a way to DISABLE ESP and if I have read all these comments correctly installing this switch will solve the problems I am having. What I am looking for is a yes or no as to whether or not this will solve my "bucking/jumping" problem from one of you who is more knowledgable than myself (wouldn't take much, lol).
Thanks all.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:30 AM
JK Newbie

Hi guys

I have the switch installed.....
Just some coments on the last few posts.

I believe there is a fuse that can be pulled.... If you just want to try before cutting wires etc.
One of my friends has a 'add a fuse' in this spot, with a series wired fuse and switch. A completely removable option. I didn't know of the fuse opption prior to installing my switch.

Wiring a lateral acceleration switch would work.... But you need to cycle the ignition to turn it on again. So after the first turn, it would be off for the rest of the drive.

Regards
Paul
Old 08-07-2012, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Otten
Just lifted my 2007 (RE 3.5) and put 35's on it. Love the new setup but don't like the "bucking/jumping" it does when I'm making tight turns on concrete. The ESP light illuminates on the dash and the vehicle "bucks" or "jumps" like crazy. If I push the ESP button it helps right then and there but it does re-enable itself somehow. I need a way to DISABLE ESP and if I have read all these comments correctly installing this switch will solve the problems I am having. What I am looking for is a yes or no as to whether or not this will solve my "bucking/jumping" problem from one of you who is more knowledgable than myself (wouldn't take much, lol).
Thanks all.
Yes, it will solve it.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, I did not read the thread all the way through, but my owner's manual has a way to disable it that works. Whole steering wheel-throttle dance.

Any reason this does not work for some? It worked for me.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:40 PM
JK Newbie

Its something to do with updating the software. But its also a lot easier to just flip a switch than do the dance all the time too.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DvsKin

Yes, it will solve it.
Thanks for your help: mod in progress now.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for your help: mod in progress now.
No prob. My 4" lift on my 07 was kicking all that shit on too. You will be happy with the result. Just get the correct wire. Dbl check, check agan. Besides that, its an easy peezy mod!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just FYI. According to the 2008 Owner's Manual:

The following procedure will disable (or re-enable) ESP functionality in the vehicle.
1. Shift the transfer case into the 4H range position.
2. Turn the steering wheel until it is centered and the wheels are pointed straight ahead.
3. Cycle the ignition key OFF to ON.
4. Wait approximately five seconds for the system bulb check.
5. Turn and hold the steering wheel one-half turn to the right (clockwise).
6. Press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds.
7. Turn the steering wheel back to center, and turn and hold an additional one-half turn to the left (counterclock- wise).
8. Press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds.
9. Turn the steering wheel back to center.
10. Press and hold the ESPOFF button for seven seconds.
11. Cycle the ignition key to OFF.
After performing the ESP disable procedure correctly, “ESP OFF” will be displayed in the odometer for approxi- mately 12 seconds each time the ignition is moved to ON. Repeating the ESP disable procedure will re-enable nor-mal ESP operation.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by SiliconTi; 08-08-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:15 PM
JK Freak

Thanks all.
U don't need to install a kill switch... There is an easy write up on how to disable it in the electrical area... Basically you put it in 4wh, engage hand brake, then do a dance with the steering wheel and the ESP switch... Works great and stays disabled until you repeat the process. Worked like a charm on my '11 rubi.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

I dont think it will work for his 07 unless he had been to the dealer for the software upgrade. I don't think it was originally an option in 07. Could be wrong though.

Quick Reply: ESP Kill Switch Write-up