Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ESP Kill Switch Write-up

Old 02-17-2012, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can turn the ESP off by holding the button down for like 10secs and it will disable it. When it says OFF on the dash, it's disabled. If it just shows the ESP light, it's still active. I disable all the time that way and it NEVER comes on when I'm in 4hi or 2wd
Old 02-17-2012, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gmcdmb69
You can turn the ESP off by holding the button down for like 10secs and it will disable it. When it says OFF on the dash, it's disabled. If it just shows the ESP light, it's still active. I disable all the time that way and it NEVER comes on when I'm in 4hi or 2wd
Read the owners manual and you'll see it's not completely turned off
Old 02-28-2012, 08:40 PM
JK Newbie

Just did this on my '08 thanks to this thread, geat write up! Just thought I'd share my two cents on it, I found it difficult to work in the foot well area and it was freezing out so I wanted to work with the door closed. I just popped the cover for the shifter and found the wire harness right next to it, not sure if it will work as well for automatics(smaller opening I take it?) but this worked great for my manual. Like people said before its the straight purple wire with the light blue stripe, its by itself and easy to find. I put the switch right next the factory one. Arrows are on the cut wire
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0691.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	283384

Last edited by dunsandel; 02-28-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice information! Putting this on my to-do list!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Question

Okay I am having a hrad time picturing this working with a momentary switch. I may be wrong but I am going to guess a momentary switch is a NO or Normally Open switch IE a horn switch normally the circuit is open and no current flow. When you press the button the circuit completes, current flows and the horn honks. I am guessing we want the exact opposite of that. We want the circuit normally closed and when we push the button the circuit is broken and the esp disables. Am I looking at this right? Is a NC Normally Closed momentary switch a common thing to find?
Old 03-02-2012, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobbyspaghetti
Okay I am having a hrad time picturing this working with a momentary switch. I may be wrong but I am going to guess a momentary switch is a NO or Normally Open switch IE a horn switch normally the circuit is open and no current flow. When you press the button the circuit completes, current flows and the horn honks. I am guessing we want the exact opposite of that. We want the circuit normally closed and when we push the button the circuit is broken and the esp disables. Am I looking at this right? Is a NC Normally Closed momentary switch a common thing to find?
Correct, any NC momentary switch will work. You should be able to find one just about anywhere for 2-3 bucks.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:00 AM
JK Newbie

Is the factory traction control switch a NC?
Old 04-05-2012, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did this mod yesterday to my 07 but the ABS light doesn't come on when I flip the switch. Any advice?
Old 06-10-2012, 10:25 AM
jsl
JK Enthusiast

i will give this a try.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Has anyone tried to place the switch on the dynamic sensor (lateral accel. /yaw) under the console to see if you can retain abs but just shut off this sensor the triggers the ESC.

Quick Reply: ESP Kill Switch Write-up