Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ESP engages around corners at medium speeds

Old 03-08-2012, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP engages around corners at medium speeds

I have 35" tires on 3" Rough Country lift. My ESP starts breaking my front wheels at relatively low speeds around turns (jug handles) on and off the highway. Any clues for a newbie to Jeeps and Lifted 4x4's. this is my first jeep.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

probably need your speedo reprogrammed to accomodate 35" tires. I have an AEV procal, I think it lists for 150 and it'll do the speedo and more. I could be wrong about the speedo causing the esp braking, but that's what it smells like to me.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:21 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

The lift will displace your steering wheel a little. If you haven't brought it back to center, that could be your issue. The computer is thinking you are entering a skid.

edit to add:
Like said above, you should consider getting a programmer to dial in the tire size for the speedometer, and the automatic transmission, if that's what you have. It will also help you center the steering wheel if it can read the steering wheel position sensor.

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-08-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:22 PM
JnT
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steering wheel is most likely not centered. Re-center and see if that fixes it. Other option is to do like chrysler recomends and disable the esp system as per the manual.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:25 PM
JK Junkie

First step is going to be heading over to project-jk.com and checking out a DIY alignment on your JK.

Center the steering wheel, get your front axle centered and get your toe set. If you continue to have issues I would bring your JK to a 4x4 shop, they will be able to give you a whole print out on the specs of where your ride may need a little help. From there you will be able to see what parts need to be upgraded to adjustable or whether your caster/ camber could be causing an issue with your handling.

I used to have the same issue. Centered the steering wheel, haven't had it since, took five minutes to fix
Old 03-08-2012, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

Mine used to kick on all the time when i ran the tires at 32+ psi... now that i run 21 psi, it never kicks on.. or maybe i turned it off with my AEV procal without knowing?
Old 03-08-2012, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Steering wheel center. I had that problem and centering the steering fixed it
Old 03-08-2012, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a rc 3.5 lift. I had the ESP problem also. Even tho the lift came with LCA's I found that even with my steering wheel centered I didn't have enough caster. So I bought rc adj LCA's and that fixed the issue.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:26 PM
JK Newbie

I have rough countrys 3.5 kit and mine would do the same thing around turns, the springs are pretty soft. I endeded up installing aevs control arm drop brackets for other reasons and the problem went away. Im guessing due to the improved handling and no more break dive, body roll, or death wobble. If recentering the steering wheel dont fix it you could try the brackets. Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:53 PM
JK Freak

centering the wheel has allowed me to keep higher pressure in my tires and the esp issue on corners is gone...

Quick Reply: ESP engages around corners at medium speeds