Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Esp disable?

Old 04-27-2012, 04:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just tried this on my 2010 JKUR no worky
Old 04-27-2012, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

IT took me 6 or 7 times to finally get it. What all did you see?
Old 04-27-2012, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jereb83
IT took me 6 or 7 times to finally get it. What all did you see?
turn to the right i would get the chime and the ESP off light
turn to the left i would get the chime and the ESP off light goes away
turn to the center the ESP off light would come back on
turn the jeep back on no lihgts ?
Old 04-27-2012, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cousincleatus
turn to the right i would get the chime and the ESP off light
turn to the left i would get the chime and the ESP off light goes away
turn to the center the ESP off light would come back on
turn the jeep back on no lihgts ?
I'll tell you how I did it...it is the way that the instructions called for.

Put Jeep in 4-Hi and put the E-brake on.

Turn Jeep on and wait 5 seconds for the dash lights to all turn off.
Center steering wheel.
Turn steering wheel 1/2 clockwise and hold it (Jeep logo upside down)
Hold ESP for exactly 7 seconds...you should hear a chime at 5 but hold it till the 7th second...When you let the button go at 7 there should be a second chime.
Bring steering wheel back to center and go 1/2 turn counter-clockwise (again the Jeep logo on the wheel will be upside down).
Hold ESP again for 7-second...because it was on (the light) when you did it the first time earlier, it will turn off when you hold it. Hold it for exactly 7 seconds again and then let go...it should say ESPOFF on the odometer if done right and the ESP icon light will not be on.
Recenter Steering Wheel
Hold ESP again for exactly 7 seconds at which time it should say ESPOFF again (and maybe chime)
Turn Jeep off and see if it worked.

I tried to do it all methodical and slow but it didnt work...then I just threw the steering wheel around because by the 6th time it was a drain and guess what...it worked.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kh202
Cuz it sucks. Won't let you freely spin tires to get thru mud and sand.. Also doesn't let you play and do donuts or powerslides in mud and snow

If I leave mine on, no tire spin. Press it once and I can spin the tires all I want, well other than asphalt and concrete.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GunDude
If I leave mine on, no tire spin. Press it once and I can spin the tires all I want, well other than asphalt and concrete.
I tuned mine off just to see the difference. Just pushing the button only kills the Traction Control...the ESP, ERM are still engaged which can be annoying if taking an on-ramp or something on the street. But that can be managed by pressing and holding the ESP for 5 second which kills ESP and ERM below 40mph and totally kills TC. That is what I've read at least. I have mine disabled but wouldn't care if it was still on.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:34 PM
JK Freak
Veteran: Air Force

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well after trying the steering wheel dance about 8 times it finally took. Took it for a drive and loved the results. On the drive I noticed my cruise didn't work. Checked its fuse, not blown! WTF. Well I gotta have my cruise, so after all that I reversed the process and went back. Then I thought, just pull the fuse. I did. Took it for a drive, love it again. Guess what? The cruise doesn't work!!!!! WTF WTF! Put the fuse back. Everything is fine. Has anyone just tried unplugging the ESP unit right under the hood?
Old 04-28-2012, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkrubcon
Well after trying the steering wheel dance about 8 times it finally took. Took it for a drive and loved the results. On the drive I noticed my cruise didn't work. Checked its fuse, not blown! WTF. Well I gotta have my cruise, so after all that I reversed the process and went back. Then I thought, just pull the fuse. I did. Took it for a drive, love it again. Guess what? The cruise doesn't work!!!!! WTF WTF! Put the fuse back. Everything is fine. Has anyone just tried unplugging the ESP unit right under the hood?
I have heard, and saw on the fuse box, that the ESP fuse is also linked to the ABS unit. So I am guessing that pulling the fuse will kill your ABS depending on if that is a deal breaker or not. For me, the traffic is too high around here to not be without, especially with how schizophrenic people are when it comes to slamming on the brakes.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:34 PM
JK Freak
Veteran: Air Force

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jereb83
I have heard, and saw on the fuse box, that the ESP fuse is also linked to the ABS unit. So I am guessing that pulling the fuse will kill your ABS depending on if that is a deal breaker or not. For me, the traffic is too high around here to not be without, especially with how schizophrenic people are when it comes to slamming on the brakes.
Explain the cruise
Old 04-28-2012, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkrubcon
So you can just pull a fuse? Wich one? I can live without abs

Quick Reply: Esp disable?