Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Esp disable?

Old 11-08-2011, 12:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Esp disable?

Anyone know how to perminately disable the ESP.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by natebri2575
Anyone know how to perminately disable the ESP.
The following procedure will disable (or re-enable) ESP functionality in the vehicle:

1. Shift the transfer case into the 4H range position.

2. Turn the steering wheel until it is centered and the wheels are pointed straight ahead.

3. Cycle the ignition key OFF to ON.

4. Wait approximately five seconds for the system bulb check.

5. Turn and hold the steering wheel one-half turn to the right (clockwise).

6. Press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds.

7. Turn the steering wheel back to center, and turn and hold an additional one-half turn to the left (counterclockwise).

8. Press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds.

9. Turn the steering wheel back to center.

10. Press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds.

11. Cycle the ignition key to OFF. After performing the ESP disable procedure correctly,
“ESP OFF” will be displayed in the odometer for approximately 12 seconds each time the ignition is moved to ON.
Repeating the ESP disable procedure will re-enable normal ESP operation.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

When you say "ON", you don't mean started, right? The Jeep is never started during this procedure, right?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rubi3
When you say "ON", you don't mean started, right? The Jeep is never started during this procedure, right?
If I remember correctly, I started mine cause it was a real beeech to turn the 40's when I tried with the engine off and the key to just the "on" position. Try it with you starting the engine and see if it works. Follow the directions exactly with key being turned on and off when needed and button pushed for time.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my post that a lot of people found easy to follow and it worked!

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=1#post1509902

The secret is to keep trying again and again if it doesn't work. I had to do it like 6 times to get it to work.
Been disabled since that day and never turned it back on!!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
The secret is to keep trying again and again if it doesn't work. I had to do it like 6 times to get it to work.
Been disabled since that day and never turned it back on!!
AMEN Brother!!! THAT shit almost shot me over a cliff. I had brake pedal pressed as hard as I could and shifted from R. to D. and the Jeep lunged forward off of the side of the Mountain I backed up against. Check out my video of it. It scared the shit outta me cause it was like 500 foot down the drop off. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqfP7...&feature=feedu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqfP7TONwSw&feature=feedu
Old 11-09-2011, 07:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jknockers
AMEN Brother!!! THAT shit almost shot me over a cliff. I had brake pedal pressed as hard as I could and shifted from R. to D. and the Jeep lunged forward off of the side of the Mountain I backed up against. Check out my video of it. It scared the shit outta me cause it was like 500 foot down the drop off. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqfP7...&feature=feedu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqfP7TONwSw&feature=feedu

I don't understand how this could have happened if your Jeep was in 4lo since ESP is disabled short of the BLSD

I have been wheeling with my 2011 JKU Rubicon plenty, stock and modified and have yet to have a problem with ESP.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Noxian
I don't understand how this could have happened if your Jeep was in 4lo since ESP is disabled short of the BLSD

I have been wheeling with my 2011 JKU Rubicon plenty, stock and modified and have yet to have a problem with ESP.
Sorry I should have said ALMOST shot me off of the drop off. Either way, you see the video, TRUST ME, it is a long way down to the bottom and I DID have the BRAKE pedal pressed all the way down. Like I said, that sheet scared the crap outta me, I wasn't jokin around, right after that I turned off the crap and haven't looked back since.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:57 AM
JK Freak

I just bought my 2007 JK. When I take corners fast the ESP always comes on. It really bothers me not to mention it probably is not good for my brake pads. Since I know it happens I ease into corners. Don't want to be a road hazard. I have read several threads where I will need to take my Jk to the dealer and get the ECM updated with a more recent software. Only because I have an 07. I have the Chrystler service bulletin 05-001-08 saved on my computer. Just need to print it out and take the JK to the dealer. Then I can do the steering wheel dance.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jknockers
Sorry I should have said ALMOST shot me off of the drop off. Either way, you see the video, TRUST ME, it is a long way down to the bottom and I DID have the BRAKE pedal pressed all the way down. Like I said, that sheet scared the crap outta me, I wasn't jokin around, right after that I turned off the crap and haven't looked back since.
I guess I should dont understand how ESP caused this. I can see the 4lo over powering the brakes but your saying ESP did it, I also notice in the video it sounds like your engine revved up.

Quick Reply: Esp disable?