Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ESP comes on when turning. Help!

Old 02-15-2011, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP comes on when turning. Help!

When I'm turning right on sharper than normal on-ramps my ESP goes off. Never when turning on normal roads, just when im going fast and taking a long turn. This started after I lifted it. ( I have the mods in my sig). Before you say do a search, I have already made sure my steering wheel is 99.9% centered and I also did a quick check to see if my front axle is centered and it seems good too. I have the "fun switch" mod and I can turn it off, but I'd rather it work.

Is there any way to get ride of the ESP and the annoying light on the cluster for good? Fun switch works but I'd like to keep my abs on and not have the lights.

Need input here everyone. Thanks guys!
Old 02-15-2011, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nautique210
When I'm turning right on sharper than normal on-ramps my ESP goes off. Never when turning on normal roads, just when im going fast and taking a long turn. This started after I lifted it. ( I have the mods in my sig). Before you say do a search, I have already made sure my steering wheel is 99.9% centered and I also did a quick check to see if my front axle is centered and it seems good too. I have the "fun switch" mod and I can turn it off, but I'd rather it work.

Is there any way to get ride of the ESP and the annoying light on the cluster for good? Fun switch works but I'd like to keep my abs on and not have the lights.

Need input here everyone. Thanks guys!
could have pulled tight one of the esp lines but then it would constantly be on.

go 80 mph on the freeway and hold the steering wheel straight and then tell us how straight it drives.

ps: do a search!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2011, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

i put a thread up of the same thing a few days ago. i hd the same thing happen to me. what you need to do is align ur steering wheel up srtaight even with your wheels. even just the slightest of being off can do this. all i did was go to bigger tires and my steering wheel moved and it did that to me. also if u havent had a alignment since uve put ur llift on ull def want to do that too.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rider81
i put a thread up of the same thing a few days ago. i hd the same thing happen to me. what you need to do is align ur steering wheel up srtaight even with your wheels. even just the slightest of being off can do this. all i did was go to bigger tires and my steering wheel moved and it did that to me. also if u havent had a alignment since uve put ur llift on ull def want to do that too.
I got a alignment the day after I lifted it.

I'm thinking about adjusting the wheel a little each day in both directions, just to see how sensitive that sensor really is. I think it's straight but who knows.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:28 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The steering wheel 'looking' straight could be a long ways off from what the computer thinks is straight. Check for bent components, or get a ProCal.

I found that having the steering wheel appx 15degrees right is 'straight' as far as the computer is concerned. (bent tie rod, maybe?)

And it could just be the normal post-lift behavior that a lot of people run into. If you can't fix it with centering, just do the steering wheel dance.

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-15-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 2.5" coil lift. Mine did the same thing and the steering wheel was dead straight. Then I ran Bronco Peak, steering wheel was off 1/4. I used Procal to recenter drove it steering was still off, so I readjusted old fashioned way took about 3 or 4 times to get it perfect. A few days later I do the one onramp that always triggers esp and guess what no esp. Tryed it again several times really almost trying to make it go off and it didn't. Guess what you need to do go bash your wheel off center on the rocks then readjust steering wheel, good to go.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nvrenuff
I have a 2.5" coil lift. Mine did the same thing and the steering wheel was dead straight. Then I ran Bronco Peak, steering wheel was off 1/4. I used Procal to recenter drove it steering was still off, so I readjusted old fashioned way took about 3 or 4 times to get it perfect. A few days later I do the one onramp that always triggers esp and guess what no esp. Tryed it again several times really almost trying to make it go off and it didn't. Guess what you need to do go bash your wheel off center on the rocks then readjust steering wheel, good to go.
Best advice yet!

Just wanted to say thanks for all the input from everyone. Sounds like even if the wheel is straight....it's not computer straight. I will do a little test n tune on the on/off ramps going to work this week and see if I can find it's sweet spot.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Whe you guys are straitening the steering wheel, your just turning the adjustment clamp on the drag link right?

Flash
Old 02-15-2011, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flash1034
Whe you guys are straitening the steering wheel, your just turning the adjustment clamp on the drag link right?

Flash
yes. here is a good how-to

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...nment#steering

Quick Reply: ESP comes on when turning. Help!