Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ESP and ABS light on

Old 01-05-2015, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP and ABS light on

My jeeps ESP & ABS light comes on when the car is cold but then turns off after driving for like 15 mins. Could it be my tire pressure is low?
Old 01-05-2015, 07:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a guess here but I would check your wheel sensors for loose connector or damage.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:02 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Mudfire
My jeeps ESP & ABS light comes on when the car is cold but then turns off after driving for like 15 mins. Could it be my tire pressure is low?
It's those 20" wheels and 35s you got. No, I'm just razzing you. 14Sport is probably correct. There's a lot of wheel movement on the front, and especially when you have a lift and have to reposition those wires. That movement is notorious for tangling up the ABS sensor wiring. Inspect the wiring to see if there's any damage--it should be pretty obvious. Could be the sensor itself, but you'll need a code reader that actually reads ABS systems to figure that out for sure--most code readers don't read ABS (or SRS). Finally, I've seen the unit bearings get contaminated by mud and muck. Going by your userID and Florida location, perhaps you've played in a mud a few times? Anyway, you can inspect the unit bearing for unusual wear (like checking a wheel bearing), and for contamination by pulling the ABS sensor and looking in the hole. There should be grease in there, but not dirt, etc. Good luck!
Old 01-05-2015, 09:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mudfire
One more possible, but unlikely, thing.I had this happen to me and it ended up being a crooked steering wheel. It would come and go until I decided to straighten it out.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by JK505
One more possible, but unlikely, thing.I had this happen to me and it ended up being a crooked steering wheel. It would come and go until I decided to straighten it out.
Your ABS light was coming on, too? Usually it's ESP and TCS. Hmmm. Interesting. Regardless, very easy check and repair if that's what it is.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Your ABS light was coming on, too? Usually it's ESP and TCS. Hmmm. Interesting. Regardless, very easy check and repair if that's what it is.
Oh my mistake, I had a brain lapse. Mark is correct, my ABS wasn't on. Disregard

Quick Reply: ESP and ABS light on