Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Entry-Level Lift Recommendation?

Old 03-04-2011, 12:54 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

That ProComp lift may be fine, I have just had too many issues with 4WP to willingly choose anything they recommend. (which is procomp lifts...)

For 2.5" coils, expect 3" of lift. (TF 2.5 and OME HD's will both give this, not sure about RK). At this height, you should consider adding components for front axle centering and caster correction at some point. No big rush, but put them on the list. This also gets you into the range where you will want to keep an eye on your driveshafts.

If you choose TF, shocks or adapters is preference and budget. As long as you like the ride your stock shocks give you, nothing wrong with running the adapters.

If you choose the OME HD route, I would suggest going through northridge for their Long Travel setup. Even if you start basic and add as you go, the LT shocks and associated components are the way to go.

And if you choose RK, the max travel setup looks good. My next lift will likely be one of their new aluminum Pro systems.

Lots of options out there, just decide on a budget and then start comparing components.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TF and EVO are the lifts that all other lifts wish they could be.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:43 PM
JK Freak

I run the TF 2.5" coil with TF shocks and wouldn't trade it for the world. So do your research into the Procomp if that's the direction you go, but remember you'll have direct support for the TF one here...
Old 03-05-2011, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
That ProComp lift may be fine, I have just had too many issues with 4WP to willingly choose anything they recommend. (which is procomp lifts...)

For 2.5" coils, expect 3" of lift. (TF 2.5 and OME HD's will both give this, not sure about RK). At this height, you should consider adding components for front axle centering and caster correction at some point. No big rush, but put them on the list. This also gets you into the range where you will want to keep an eye on your driveshafts.

If you choose TF, shocks or adapters is preference and budget. As long as you like the ride your stock shocks give you, nothing wrong with running the adapters.

If you choose the OME HD route, I would suggest going through northridge for their Long Travel setup. Even if you start basic and add as you go, the LT shocks and associated components are the way to go.

And if you choose RK, the max travel setup looks good. My next lift will likely be one of their new aluminum Pro systems.

Lots of options out there, just decide on a budget and then start comparing components.
What works well for centering and caster correction with JKs?
Old 03-05-2011, 11:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Teraflex HD adjustable front track bar and front lower control arms.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by joshua
What works well for centering and caster correction with JKs?
For axle centering:
Brackets
Longer 'fixed' trackbars
Adjustable trackbars

Brackets are the cheapest, but some versions will just multipy the stress and rip your stock bracket off the frame/axle. Research a bit and find one that is reinforced, or add some welds.
Not many companies sell fixed trackbars, but may be an option.
Adjustables are the most expensive, but are also the best option.

For caster:
Cam Bolts
Drop brackets
Longer/Shorter 'fixed' control arms
Adjustable control arms

Cams are dirt cheap, but tend to slip when you go offroad. They also need to have the axle mount notched out to install, so if you move to adjustables later, you need to get those holes welded back up.
Brackets and Fixed arms are set to a specific caster angle, which may or may not be appropriate for your lift height, and are completely unadjustable for any future changes (added weight, or spacers for additional lift, etc). And if/when you replace a driveshaft, you have no way of setting the pinion angle.
Adjustable ca's are by far the most expensive, but also the best option.

Last edited by nthinuf; 03-05-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

Excellent information, all - thanks for the help! I'm going to go with the TF 2.5 coil and shock kit. Now it's just down to finding the cheapest price...

Definitely appreciate the help!
Old 03-06-2011, 02:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joshua
Last year I decided to get back into the Jeep space and bought a 2-door 2010 JK. Now, in looking to get some better tread and articulation, I'm really seeing how this is a different space than what I'm used to (all I know is leaf springs). So; what's my best bet for an entry-level setup? Looking to run 33in tires.

4WD.com is running a special on the 2.5" kit from Pro Comp with ES9000 Shocks: http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...7&partID=41306. Total (including shipping) is about $425. Any thoughts?
What's your budget and what do you want to do? I saw a pro comp 3" lift complete for 500 with a 250 rebate. Total price = $250. Also, if you want a mild lift, get a BB and keep all your stock parts. I just pieced a set together for my friend 2.5 front 1.5 rear for under $150. he roles around town on some KM2s with procomp wheels I found for him (99% tread on 4 100% on 1) for $550.

Check your budget and decide what you want to do with your jeep. That will help with your decision. There are several good lift brands out there.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:25 PM
JK Newbie

Default TF 2.5 vs. BD 3 with TF Shocks

In calling around to compare prices for the TF 2.5 kit, a guy I spoke to suggested spending the extra cash and getting the Black Diamon 3" kit which comes with caster realignment cams, extended sway bar links and an adjustable front track bar with relocation bracket. Does anyone have any experience with this setup?

Also- If I got this kit, I'd need shocks. Do the TF VSS gas shocks (http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=3274) work well? If I purchased the BD 3" kit and the TF shocks (fronts and rears for 2-3" of lift), would I be set, or am I missing something?

Still planning to run 33's.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:28 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

which comes with caster realignment cams
Spend a few minutes researching so you know what you are getting.

Quick Reply: Entry-Level Lift Recommendation?