Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Engo Winch install

Old 05-03-2013, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engo Winch install

About to install a ENGO 10000lbs winch on my jeep but need to drill the holes to mount it to the bumper. I bought 3 new carbide drill bits: 7/16, 1/2, 15/32. I cant really tell from the bolts and drill bit packaging. Hoping to only open one as they all cost 20$ each and return the others for some other goodies.
Does anyone know the size of drill it I need for the bolts?

Cheers.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stock bumper ? you should have a winch plate which is already drilled for the winch and for mounting to the bumper , how are you mounting it ?
Old 05-04-2013, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

I forgot to mention I have a steel after market bumper with no pre drilled holes for the winch.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:54 AM
JK Freak

Carbide drill bit? You didn't buy masonry bits did you? You just need a regular steel drill and a little oil for lubrication.
Use the drill that is slightly larger than the mounting hardware bolt. 1/2" bolt would be a 9/16" drill.

Also, your bumper might not be strong enough for a winch and you may need a winch plate.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by duneslider
Carbide drill bit? You didn't buy masonry bits did you? You just need a regular steel drill and a little oil for lubrication.
Use the drill that is slightly larger than the mounting hardware bolt. 1/2" bolt would be a 9/16" drill.

Also, your bumper might not be strong enough for a winch and you may need a winch plate.
X2 on all of this. And if you do drill, using the template will make it much easier.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

Definitely going to template the holes as I pretty much have one shot at it. I took a look at the drill bits and they are cobalt. I've attached a pic of the winch location on my bumper. The bumper is 3/16" steel. The more I post on here the more I realize how much info and variables are needed for answers. Thanks for responses so far!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3311805212.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	454129
Old 05-04-2013, 08:31 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm with the other folks who suggested caution. Did you check with the bumper manufacturer about the winch?

It's not only about the material used. It's also about welding, how it attaches to the Jeep's frame, etc.

If you finally decide to drill I also recommend you use some cutting oil to lubricate your drill bits and make their job easier and provide a better finish without destroying themselves in the process.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's a RHF bumper right? Last time I spoke with him, he assured me it was winch ready, so you should be good to go without a plate. I've had one for a year now but still haven't installed a winch. Keep this thread updated with how it goes, I'm thinking of the same winch!

Quick Reply: Engo Winch install