Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Engine wont shut off?????

Old 10-23-2015, 02:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well.... She's at the dealership ;(
Old 10-23-2015, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Sublime
Well.... She's at the dealership ;(
Hopefully, it's something that won't cost you an arm and a leg. You've covered everything that I could speculate already. The only other thing I would guess is that it may be ECM or potentially clutch related since you own a manual.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:08 AM
JK Newbie

I could definitely see this being computer related, but not too sure about being clutch related, How would the clutch keep the engine and all the electronics running?
Old 10-23-2015, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

I could definitely see this being computer related, but not too sure about being clutch related, How would the clutch keep the engine and all the electronics running?
I'm really just taking shots in the dark in regards to the clutch and since I've never heard of anyone with an auto describe this problem and because there's a lot more auto-trans JKs than manuals, it just leads to further speculation in that direction. However, my thinking is that typically when you push in the clutch pedal there are switches that get activated/de-activated and from doing a brake kit install, I know the clutch is connected and wired with the brake Master Cylinder. So it wouldn't surprise me if the clutch is tied in with the ignition system in some manner. Is it possible to crank the JK to start it, without pushing in the clutch pedal when you have it in gear?

Others have wired "Kill switches" in their JK and those connectors where they typically tie the kill switches into is located in the same vicinity nearby the MC under the hood as well.

Last edited by Rednroll; 10-23-2015 at 05:26 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

It's funny that you mentioned the clutch because last week when I called about recalls they said my clutch interlock switch was on recall but when I got to the dealership they had no recalls on file for my vehicle so I just called jeep back and know they have no records either? Lost?
Old 10-24-2015, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator

It's funny that you mentioned the clutch because last week when I called about recalls they said my clutch interlock switch was on recall but when I got to the dealership they had no recalls on file for my vehicle so I just called jeep back and know they have no records either? Lost?
Hopefully things work out for you and they find the clutch interlock switch is the problem and then something pops up in their system that there was a recall and everything falls into place and it doesn't cost you anything to get it fixed.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:53 AM
JK Newbie

Bad TIPM. Still can't figure out how jeep can recall the same computer from hundreds of vehicles, but will not acknowledge others simply because there has not been enough complaints yet, obviously there is an issue with computers they are using.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Bad TIPM. Still can't figure out how jeep can recall the same computer from hundreds of vehicles, but will not acknowledge others simply because there has not been enough complaints yet, obviously there is an issue with computers they are using.
It sounds like there is class action lawsuit in the works.

Judge Says Chrysler TIPM Class-Action Lawsuit Can Move Forward | CarComplaints.com

The funny thing is that it lists 2010-2014 Wranglers as being in the affected vehicle lists, but states this as well.

The lawsuit alleges Chrysler owners started complaining in 2008 and by the end of 2011, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration had received over 100 complaints about the TIPMs.
Also it looks like Ronjenx may be our forum expert on the TIPM.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/o...study-1200238/
Old 10-24-2015, 12:58 PM
JK Newbie

I've been in contact with jeep for the last couple days, they said they might be able to give me a partial refund but would get back to me on Monday regarding the final outcome
Old 10-24-2015, 12:59 PM
JK Newbie

So I just picked up my girl at the dealership

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2148327338.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	628325

Quick Reply: Engine wont shut off?????