Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Engine ups grades

Old 01-28-2009, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why no mention of swapping to the 4.0 V-6?

I'm very curious, why is nobody talking about swapping out the 3.8 V-6 for the 4.0 V-6 that comes in like the Dodge Nitro?

From another site: (please forgive me if I'm breaking any rules by pasting this):

"The performance-oriented 4.0-liter SOHC V-6 engine, an enhanced version of the reliable 3.5 V6, delivers 255 hp (190 kW) at 5,800 rpm and 265 lb.-ft. torque (360 N•m) at 4,200 rpm. The engine provides more power and torque than the 3.5 with emphasis on low- and mid-range operation to meet the needs of the day-to-day driver (so the absolute horsepower ratings do not fully convey its performance). It is one of the quietest engines of its size, and is standard on the Dodge Nitro R/T."

The Dodge Nitro R/T comes 4X4 too. Is it that it would be about the same price as the Hemi swap but only netting you 255 hp stock? Again, just curious. In fact, why don't they just use the 4.0 V-6 in our Jeeps to begin with???
Old 01-28-2009, 08:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by def9112
$5300 for the kit

next time look at what is in the kit, there is a whole other list of parts to purchase PLUS the HEMI Engine PLUS the Transmission
Does anybody have any idea what the cost of the additional parts is? Are they basically new parts that have to be bought from Jeep or auto parts store stuff?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Yes I have priced out the 5.7 Hemi engine swap...
with the AEV kit and all the parts from the dealer and from Parts.com

The AEV kit around $5,300

The other parts to finish the project
(At least i think i put in every part number... I may have missed 1 or 2 items)
From a dealer or MSRP for the parts: $12,634
from parts.com: $8,230.11

So just for the parts you are looking at around $13,500 - $17,900 for all, or most, of the parts to do the swap... plus any shipping charges.

Hope this helps
Old 01-28-2009, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Lots of bread for a 5.7L. I wonder if it would be cheaper to put a JK suspension, body and drive system on an AWD 5.7L LX Charger? Seriously though, the Nitro 4.0L is one punchy engine. That thing is pretty darn quick for a cososover/SUV. It would be sweet to find a wrecked one with a good engine, though I have no clue whether it would fit. The whole cost issue makes the supercharger kits seem more "reasonable" than a HEMI and certainly with less down time and the ability to remove it later when you sell your JK for a new one. I'd imagine once a blower was added, then other "breathing" performance parts like exhaust, intake and the like would have more effect in increasing power. Good topic here.

Last edited by JK-linux; 01-28-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MKL&L
Yes I have priced out the 5.7 Hemi engine swap...
with the AEV kit and all the parts from the dealer and from Parts.com

The AEV kit around $5,300

The other parts to finish the project
(At least i think i put in every part number... I may have missed 1 or 2 items)
From a dealer or MSRP for the parts: $12,634
from parts.com: $8,230.11

So just for the parts you are looking at around $13,500 - $17,900 for all, or most, of the parts to do the swap... plus any shipping charges.

Hope this helps
Thanks, it helps a lot. I had absolutely no idea that there were so many additional parts needed beyond the AEV kit. That's 13,500 for parts plus the hemi and transmission.

I think I see a Supercharger in my future.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

A cheap 5.2 or 4.7 would theoretically fit, though I believe it would require some costly fab work to mate up. You would have a boat load of torque in the end though. A 3.5L V-6 would go as well and there is becoming quite the aftermarket for the engine as well. Were it me, I'd find a pulled Charger 3.5L and toss in some Inertia cams, intake manifold and TB. You should be able to pick up a 3.5L fairly cheap from a totaled LX.

Quick Reply: Engine ups grades