Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Engine ups grades

Old 01-10-2009, 08:04 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
If you think about the cost of the parts that you'll need to do a decent build, it'll definitely be in the thousands. Then, consider the machine work and paying for a quality job to a decent engine builder, again, in the thousands.

AEV's Hemi kit for $5,300...enough said.
The kit is twice as much as the engine. Sucks. Is there anywhere you can buy the computer alone, or have the hemi one reprogrammed without buying that whole kit? I refuse to believe that the cheapest way is a $5k insall kit.

I would love to have the 5.7 MDS hemi. I bet the MPG wold smoke this 6. I would rather have a diesel though.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrod692001
I have a friend who had the cherokee with the Hemi and he got better mpg then my JK does
I believe that. The mpg isnt that good to begin with on a JK, add all your mods and it only gets worse. If you have an engine that doesnt have to work as hard to pull your vehicle around the mileage will be better. The hp/tq you will gain from a v8 will more than make up for the added weight.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08SaharaM6
I'm sure if you guys had the money to do it, you wouldnt be laughing, you would have that vroom vroom under your hood.
Uhhhh, no I would not. I would have it set snuggly between the shock towers of a coronet and a modern suspension from altercations under the front end.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:49 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I would love to have the 5.7 MDS hemi. I bet the MPG wold smoke this 6. I would rather have a diesel though.
The MDS is pretty much a joke and most people using a programmer with them were begging for a way to turn it off. Superchips delivered, the power went up and MPG hardly suffered. The 5.7 with the 6.1 heads and MDS disabled will provide nearly identical MPG and a load of additional power compared to stock with MDS.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by R8R ROK
Tow .

Not that I can afford one or am in any position to get one. For me it would be awesome. For now its just a dream.
TOW, of course! Didn't think of that one. I do tow a small trailer, but don't really go any where. I bet performance would suck towing my 17 foot trailer. I did use a Liberty to tow it to Wisconsin. It wasn't that bad, but a 4.7 would have been perfect.....
Old 01-11-2009, 08:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by scarp
A 60 degree v6 does not take to mods very well.

I have heard that the bottom end is not very strong for holding much hp also.

For the money spent on forged crank/rods/pistons, Head work etc. you could have a hemi.
Since there are no race/power options, not even NO, how can there be any rumors about a weak bottom end?

Any shade tree mechanic can have the machine work done at a fair price, and buy the parts at their timing and put it together in such a way that not only do they know what exactly is in it, but can diagnose easier what went wrong if something did.

The reasoning you and others are suggesting is basically this, don't bother to modify your suspension until you get the correct wheels, 42" tires, 5:68 gears and and a complete EVO system with long track bars, etc.

Think about it, what happened to all the fun of personalization, the differences in our Jeeps? We'd all be expensive clones of each other and the "Jeep thing" would disappear off the face of the earth.

No thanks, I'll personalize thank you.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CIJeep
Since there are no race/power options, not even NO, how can there be any rumors about a weak bottom end?

Any shade tree mechanic can have the machine work done at a fair price, and buy the parts at their timing and put it together in such a way that not only do they know what exactly is in it, but can diagnose easier what went wrong if something did.

The reasoning you and others are suggesting is basically this, don't bother to modify your suspension until you get the correct wheels, 42" tires, 5:68 gears and and a complete EVO system with long track bars, etc.

Think about it, what happened to all the fun of personalization, the differences in our Jeeps? We'd all be expensive clones of each other and the "Jeep thing" would disappear off the face of the earth.

No thanks, I'll personalize thank you.

When I ask the local Machinist about this building motor he rolled his eyes and said get a decent base to start with.

He had rebuilt a couple of these motors and made the bottom end statement.
JK Newbie

I believe that. The mpg isnt that good to begin with on a JK, add all your mods and it only gets worse. If you have an engine that doesnt have to work as hard to pull your vehicle around the mileage will be better. The hp/tq you will gain from a v8 will more than make up for the added weight.
I agree completely. I had the 4 banger in my TJ and the mpg with 33's was far less than my buddies 6 cylinder.
JK Super Freak

Its not a good engine to start a build with. You could do it if you really wanted, but like others have stated already the cost to build it up to get similar numbers out of the options you are sick of hearing, will be close. There are some fast or powerful v6 engines out there but they cost as much and sometimes more than a v8. You would want a 90* v6 we have 60* v6s. Again if you dont like the other options that are out there because of the price, you wont find it any easier with your stock engine. The amount of time and money to do the R&D, you could already be driving a Hemified JK.
Funny, I don't remember many saying this about the straight 6 that's been running around for years.

A cam, stroker kit, head work is far more beneficial in a 60 degree V6 than in a straight one. Yes, it is easier to build a V8 and its about the same money, but its a good thing we all have choices and differing tastes or all our wives would look the same and have the same equipment. Then again there are some guys with high maintenance women who cannot afford them so why not high end mods, eh?
Old 01-11-2009, 08:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 33 williys 77
The heart of any engine is the camshaft, so with a better cam profile you would be suppized, also somebody needs to tear into the computer programing, and figure out some set pionts to go along with a new cam profile

just my thought

And a VERY good one at that!

It's about the most bang per buck there is, and combined with a little head/valve work and we can really find out if there is a weak bottom end or not.

Quick Reply: Engine ups grades