Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

engine troubles, not sure if normal

Old 04-15-2014, 11:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 3.8 sounds like a sewing machine. The ticking noise comes from around the injectors. I have been told that the 3.8 has noisy injectors. I have been having my JK for over 2 years and the noise has not gotten better or worst. Scared of what they may find if I take it in to be looked at. I have right around 63k miles on my 2007.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I really can't explain it better than what i did, I don't know much about engines and what i would really like to hear what a normal jk 3.8 sounds like to see if mine is the same. as far as the rattle under load i don't know where else to look or what to tell the dealer. I have gone under the jeep and banged around with a rubber mailet and couldn't really replicate anything
Old 04-15-2014, 12:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I ran mine 93K miles. Changed only because I was installing dual-battery tray, so it was convenient. No difference in vehicle performance/MPG before and after. Plug gap is a starting place for optimal performance. Plugs are fine as gap widens. They are designed that way. Are you sure 50 thousandths gap is correct? Would double-check that.
.50 is correct gap for JKs. Weaker spark at higher gap can most definitely cause knock under load. Perfect example was my JK. All fixed
Old 04-15-2014, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by courtsm3
.50 is correct gap for JKs. Weaker spark at higher gap can most definitely cause knock under load. Perfect example was my JK. All fixed
how many miles did your jeep have?

Also could the "rattle" be engine knock? its more of like gravel in the engine sound. I don't know what engine knock exactly sounds like though.

Quick Reply: engine troubles, not sure if normal