Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Engine Swap Vs Trade for New

Old 12-22-2015, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ntropy
bfschor, great post and lots of good input you're getting. I'm in a similar boat: I have a 2010 with 135k miles. It's a heavy sucker with all the armor and stuff I've put on it. I need another year to save up for a swap, but I fully plan to. Hope my JK makes it until then; it's my daily driver. BTW, I'm in Arlington. Love to compare notes some day if either of us make this happen.

Big question I have is emissions testing. As you know, we have tough testing due to air quality here in DFW. How hard is it to pass inspection with either Hemi or LS? Sounds like there ends up being two OBD ports with an LS; how would the test happen?

I'm leaning towards a Mo-tech LS for all the reasons folks have mentioned, but I don't want to put myself in a situation where I can't keep the Jeep registered due to inability to meet inspection requirements.

Any thoughts?

thanks
my hemi swap is CA emissions legal. no codes, no dash lights.
smogs as a grand Cherokee.
Like D20captian said, it's not that bad and doing it again would be easy. he had the advantage of taking the body off. I could not and it was a bit harder but still possible.
I did not have to adjust my suspension after the hemi. I think it settled 3/4" the jeep gets a slight rake toward the front if I take the 150 lb spare off.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ntropy
bfschor, great post and lots of good input you're getting. I'm in a similar boat: I have a 2010 with 135k miles. It's a heavy sucker with all the armor and stuff I've put on it. I need another year to save up for a swap, but I fully plan to. Hope my JK makes it until then; it's my daily driver. BTW, I'm in Arlington. Love to compare notes some day if either of us make this happen. Big question I have is emissions testing. As you know, we have tough testing due to air quality here in DFW. How hard is it to pass inspection with either Hemi or LS? Sounds like there ends up being two OBD ports with an LS; how would the test happen? I'm leaning towards a Mo-tech LS for all the reasons folks have mentioned, but I don't want to put myself in a situation where I can't keep the Jeep registered due to inability to meet inspection requirements. Any thoughts? thanks
Hey ntropy, I think I've read that the Mo-tech kit is California approved. If it can pass Cali emissions, it can pass anywhere - ha! Though I'm not sure how they would test emissions, but will definitely make note of this concern.

I live in Burleson and work in Hurst, so I'm not far from ya. I'm hoping to put together a trip out to Vegas over the first quarter of next year - but the plan is very, very green at this point. I have friends in Tampa I'm also looking at visiting, which is where Bruiser is. RPMExtreme is about a 9-10 hour drive from the house. The only downside to them is that I have no reason to visit Alabama. It would have to be a special trip just to see them.

Keep in touch. If and when I get substantial information, I'll let ya know. I just hope mine will last without major $$ repairs before I can do the swap. I have a 6-speed with just over 70k, so I'm hoping my clutch holds up.

Quick Reply: Engine Swap Vs Trade for New