Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Engine Swap Vs Trade for New

Old 12-18-2015, 10:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jedg
Well, as I alluded to, the transmission plays a big part in overall drive-ability. The auto trans behind the 3.8L is a 4-speed and the gearing distribution was terrible. So when pulling a long hill or towing, the trans would continually shift between 3rd and 4th. The supercharger exacerbated that problem a bunch. I think that's what makes the LS engine conversion so great, the 6L80E is the unsung hero in that combination. When towing or pulling long hills, it will shift between 5th an 6th (which are both overdrive gears) and is so smooth at doing so that you don't even feel it.
Hmmm
What gears? When in going up hill I usually hit the overdrive off button.

Northridge 4x4
Old 12-18-2015, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
So first, the LS engine/transmission is very dependable. IF you do having something go wrong, it's a matter of hooking a scanning tool up to the OBD II port for the chevy computer and going from there. Not sure how the other conversions work, but with the MoTech, you have a Chevy computer running the engine and the jeep computer running all the other stuff. If it's an engine problem, a Chevrolet dealership is going to know what's up. If it's other than the engine/transmission, then it's a Jeep dealership.

My jeep has 100,000 miles on it now (2011). I had MoTech do the conversion at 70,000 miles. I've had NO problems with their install.

I have had jeep parts begin to fail. I just replaced my steering gearbox as it was going bad. That's a result of rock crawling it and such. I also have the normal wear-and-tear items that get replaced occasionally. (drag link, tie rod ends)

If you're worried about warranty, wait until your warranty is out, then do it.

As for a local shop doing this, I believe MoTech is working with someone in Texas (don't remember where) for them to be a licensed dealer/installer. I may have this wrong and am speaking out of turn. Contact MoTech for clarification. I know some of the other installers are doing similar approaches.
If something gos wrong with the jeep part, the computer for the LS won't care. Really do not need anything from the jeep at all, only reason to keep the jeep ecu is for traction controll and the oem guages, but it controlls nothing in regards to the engine. Honistly, prob better off not even usong the jeep computer and getting aftermarket guages, but could still keep it around for just controlling traction control and abs.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DigitalPunk
If something gos wrong with the jeep part, the computer for the LS won't care. Really do not need anything from the jeep at all, only reason to keep the jeep ecu is for traction controll and the oem guages, but it controlls nothing in regards to the engine. Honistly, prob better off not even usong the jeep computer and getting aftermarket guages, but could still keep it around for just controlling traction control and abs.
So what happens if you want to use something like a Superchips or a Diablo? Can these programmers be used off the shelf after an engine swap?
Prob a dumb question, but I thought I'd ask in hopes of getting surprised.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bfschor
So what happens if you want to use something like a Superchips or a Diablo? Can these programmers be used off the shelf after an engine swap?
Prob a dumb question, but I thought I'd ask in hopes of getting surprised.
Only reason to use a,tuner on the jeep would be to turn off the cells/check engine lights. You would now tune the ls engines computer wich would have its own obd2 port since you would now have two computers.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, so here's another question I have about engine swaps. How did y'all go about in selecting the shop for the job? I've read good reviews on all 3 shops I initially mentioned, so what was your biggest selling point on who you went to? And did you talk to more than one shop?
Old 12-18-2015, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have my 08 with 101K miles at Motech right now for a 6.0 LS swap. I am in the position of really liking my Jeep and have no interest in trading it in for something new. I plan on keeping it for a long time but wanted to get some power which the poor little 3.8 just doesn't have. I went with Motech for the install for a couple of reasons. It appears to me that Robbie really pioneered getting the GM and Chrysler setups to work together so that you have a Jeep which functions like stock as far as dash lights, cruise control, etc. Robbie has posted a lot of information over the years on the JK owners forum and many youtube videos. I have not read anything bad about peoples experience with Motech. They are relatively close to me (9 hour drive).

Before pulling the trigger I called Robbie a couple times with questions and he has always been very helpful. Be aware that even though they can do a swap pretty quickly you will probably be without your Jeep for some time. Im at about 3 1/2 months since drop off but they also moved shops during this time which I'm sure caused a big delay. I'm anxious to get my Jeep back but understand that the wait is part of the process.

The LS swap for mine includes engine, tranny and cooler, radiator, exhaust, regear to 4.10 and all the associated parts etc. It's no small task and certainly not something I have the time or talent to do myself.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bfschor
Ok, so here's another question I have about engine swaps. How did y'all go about in selecting the shop for the job? I've read good reviews on all 3 shops I initially mentioned, so what was your biggest selling point on who you went to? And did you talk to more than one shop?
I did the install myself. However, if you are in an area that requires emissions testing it can get tricky. I am lucky to live in an area they don't test so I was able to eliminate pretty much all the stock jeep stuff. The engine is really simple, its all plug and play once you have the standalone harness and the flashed computer. They make everything you need to pretty much just adapt all the stock stuff over and be a bolt up plug and play job (Besides welding the motor mounts, which I know how and have a welder so was no big deal for me), again this is if you are not concerned with emissions.

Last edited by DigitalPunk; 12-19-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not one for banging on the keyboard usually , but in this case : OP you really need to make yourself comfortable with whom you have do the swap .
It is a easy task , as it was for me . I wasn't going to attempt this swap myself for a plethora of reasons .
The main reason that stopped me was the more I read about all the issues that cropped up , and the time it took to work through those issues and the frustrations that came along with that coarse of action , the realization that I would let one of the people that actually did this and already had seen almost all of road blocks and has the answers .
So an in-depth conversation with all the players became my quest .

After I talked with the companies that preformed these swaps , and they gave me their answers to all of my questions . I finally settled on MoTech to do my swap .
You could take my word for it , but if I were you I wouldn't , you need to talk to them all .
At that point I really believe you would come to the same conclusion that most of the LS-JK buyers come to .
There is a level of satisfaction that cannot equate to a dollar figure if you don't get what you expect .

Asking questions is a start here , and you have done that , now you need to get to the meat and potatoes .
They are all really nice people , but my opinion is that Robbie at MoTech answered all of my questions and LISTENED to me about my intended use and made suggestions , he is not a salesman by any means , he is gear head like us and comes across like that . He lives it , as we do .

However you decide , the LS is a blast to own and drive .
Good Luck
Old 12-20-2015, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by un lupis
I'm not one for banging on the keyboard usually , but in this case : OP you really need to make yourself comfortable with whom you have do the swap . It is a easy task , as it was for me . I wasn't going to attempt this swap myself for a plethora of reasons . The main reason that stopped me was the more I read about all the issues that cropped up , and the time it took to work through those issues and the frustrations that came along with that coarse of action , the realization that I would let one of the people that actually did this and already had seen almost all of road blocks and has the answers . So an in-depth conversation with all the players became my quest . After I talked with the companies that preformed these swaps , and they gave me their answers to all of my questions . I finally settled on MoTech to do my swap . You could take my word for it , but if I were you I wouldn't , you need to talk to them all . At that point I really believe you would come to the same conclusion that most of the LS-JK buyers come to . There is a level of satisfaction that cannot equate to a dollar figure if you don't get what you expect . Asking questions is a start here , and you have done that , now you need to get to the meat and potatoes . They are all really nice people , but my opinion is that Robbie at MoTech answered all of my questions and LISTENED to me about my intended use and made suggestions , he is not a salesman by any means , he is gear head like us and comes across like that . He lives it , as we do . However you decide , the LS is a blast to own and drive . Good Luck
Thanks un lupis. Yeah, I'm not going to attempt this myself by any means. I don't have the time, knowledge, patience, or desire.

I questioned here first to get opinions and experience. I'm just beginning my quest in determining which way I want to go - right now I'm leaning more towards an engine swap. I'm definitely taking notes from you and everyone else that has and will comment.

At this point I'm still green with knowing what all the questions are that I want and need to ask the install shops. I'm sure it will take several phone calls before I'm comfortable in picking who will do the work. The last thing I need is to spend this kind of money for something that will give me problems and a shop that doesn't provide support - direct support will be limited because I live so far.

Everyone, please keep the thoughts and comments coming.....maybe even help me with what kind of questions I should be asking. I think the hardest initial step for me is finding a jk with a V8 that I can drive - especially a 2-door.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When I decided that a swap was an achievable dream I was torn about the Hemi and the LS. Spending $15-20k+ on a swap was not going to happen. So the only way I could make this happen is to research, make sure my father in law was down with this undertaking. He has mechanical experience but refused to research the task ahead. So basically I was the one that knew what needed to be done but he had the mechanical background for the potential challenges. In all honesty a thread started by "Elusive" detailing his Hemi swap is really what assured me that V8 power was achievable at a reasonable bottom line. I spoke to Todd at JEep Speed Shop for quite a while about the LS and the Hemi swaps. He does both. What sold me on the Hemi was its plug and play, take the 3.8 out put the Hemi in and plug it up and it starts not to mention keeping one manufacturer under the hood. He assured me the LS was not so simple. My wife has a Yukon with the 5.3 in it and there is no way I would have been happy with that in the JK. So if you an LS do 6.0 or 6.2. Another thing about the Hemi was that in pics I saw of LS swaps they did not look as clean and factory to me. In all honesty I am not trying to sell you on a Hemi. What I am saying is that if you are mechanically inclined even a bit or have a friend that is a DIY swap is not as overwhelming (Hemi anyway) as you may imagine. The most stressful thing to me was the motor mounts being cutoff and the welding of the new ones, for whatever reason. I had my brother in law do it. Of course once we got it all apart, I did wonder if we would get that bitch back together, lol. I just bagged and tagged and labeled as much as I could. After doing one in my Jeep there is no way I would pay someone $20000+ to do this for me. It's not because I don't feel the shops do a good job or work hard at it, but because it ain't that hard. Especially for something that could be done in a long weekend with a friend or two and some beers. I will ramble no longer, best of luck to you and your quest for V8 power.

Quick Reply: Engine Swap Vs Trade for New