Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Engine Swap Vs Trade for New

Old 12-18-2015, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by bfschor
So how did you get yours to MoTech? Drive it? Trailer it? The drive from NC to NV is long!! How long did they have it and had you driven one before you decided to do it?

Oh and warranty went away for me at 14k miles. LOL
I drove it to MoTech and trailer-ed two KLR650s. Then my wife and I road the KLR650s back.

MoTech had the jeep for 8 weeks. I flew into Vegas and then drove the jeep back home.

Yes, I had driven one V8 conversion. Then drove two different ones at MoTech (with two different engines)
Old 12-18-2015, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rpmextreme
Just a thought. A V8 is awesome but on a 3.6 you can add a supercharger in about a day and it will smoke a 5.3 V8. We have done a ton of 3.6 superchargers and they never fail to impress.
If you want more power than that your looking at a 6.2 LS or a big HEMI. Both will be $20 grand plus probably closer to 30 if you want new parts.

The guys with the 3.8 engine are always better off swapping to a V8 but the 3.6 is a pretty good engine and will make really good power with a blower.

I can't speak for the 3.6 but can for the 3.8L. I went with a supercharger on the 3.8L and it was terrible. That's likely as much the fault of the transmission as the engine.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jedg
I can't speak for the 3.6 but can for the 3.8L. I went with a supercharger on the 3.8L and it was terrible. That's likely as much the fault of the transmission as the engine.
What was wrong with the 3.8 supercharged?

Northridge 4x4
Old 12-18-2015, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Wrangeler X
What was wrong with the 3.8 supercharged?

Northridge 4x4

Well, as I alluded to, the transmission plays a big part in overall drive-ability. The auto trans behind the 3.8L is a 4-speed and the gearing distribution was terrible. So when pulling a long hill or towing, the trans would continually shift between 3rd and 4th. The supercharger exacerbated that problem a bunch.

I think that's what makes the LS engine conversion so great, the 6L80E is the unsung hero in that combination. When towing or pulling long hills, it will shift between 5th an 6th (which are both overdrive gears) and is so smooth at doing so that you don't even feel it.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rpmextreme
Just a thought. A V8 is awesome but on a 3.6 you can add a supercharger in about a day and it will smoke a 5.3 V8. We have done a ton of 3.6 superchargers and they never fail to impress. If you want more power than that your looking at a 6.2 LS or a big HEMI. Both will be $20 grand plus probably closer to 30 if you want new parts. The guys with the 3.8 engine are always better off swapping to a V8 but the 3.6 is a pretty good engine and will make really good power with a blower.
I was really leaning hard on a blower several months ago, but the more I read and with 70k on my 3.6 AND not digging this 6-speed, I decided to use the money that I'd spend on that and put it towards a V8 swap. I don't recall ever reading any negative posts on V8 swaps done by those that know what they're doing.

I understand the costs involved in doing the swap. That's why I was questioning doing a swap vs just trading the jk in on a new one. It's very close to the same for me.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jedg
I drove it to MoTech and trailer-ed two KLR650s. Then my wife and I road the KLR650s back. MoTech had the jeep for 8 weeks. I flew into Vegas and then drove the jeep back home. Yes, I had driven one V8 conversion. Then drove two different ones at MoTech (with two different engines)
8 weeks?!? Did you do more than just an engine swap??
Old 12-18-2015, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

8 weeks?!? Did you do more than just an engine swap??

yep, 8 weeks. That was engine, transmission, drive shafts, upgraded radiator.

To put it in perspective, at the time Robbie (MoTech) was so back-logged that you had to make an appointment for your jeep 3-4 months out. He's got a MUCH larger facility now and so I imagine that the time may be less.

EDIT - I will also point out that he is a perfectionist with these installs. He personally drives the jeeps in varying conditions to ensure they are working correctly. He tweaks the tune for best fit for your jeep and engine combo. The guy is almost fanatical about making sure it's running absolutely, completely, the best he can make it run.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how did you get yours to MoTech? Drive it? Trailer it? The drive from NC to NV is long!! How long did they have it and had you driven one before you decided to do it? Oh and warranty went away for me at 14k miles. LOL
I have shipped a truck from Texas to KY for $700ish. If you subtract what gas would cost to drive, it's pretty cheap.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I glanced at this thread real quick so I'm unsure if anyone has mentioned this, but I was on bruiser conversions site not long ago and its my understanding if you have an 2012 an up an LS motor works with the factory trans and ecu.. I may not have info exact but figured id note it for anyone who wants to take a look
Old 12-18-2015, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by twinz33
I glanced at this thread real quick so I'm unsure if anyone has mentioned this, but I was on bruiser conversions site not long ago and its my understanding if you have an 2012 an up an LS motor works with the factory trans and ecu.. I may not have info exact but figured id note it for anyone who wants to take a look
You know, I thought I remember reading something about that. I wonder how they're doing this?

Quick Reply: Engine Swap Vs Trade for New