Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Engine Swap Vs Trade for New

Old 12-17-2015, 08:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swap Vs Trade for New

How many of you guys done engine swaps only to wish you would have used the money to trade for new?

I'm trying to decide if I want to eventually do an engine swap (using MoTech, RPMExtreme, or Bruiser) or is it more reliable/easier just to trade for new. I love my jk. I've put a lot into it and would like to do more, but at some point in mileage, I'm starting to wondering when should I stop customizing (it's my daily driver, 2013 with 71k miles).

Please share your thoughts/experiences with your engine swaps.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Have you driven a V8 JK? If not, you should.

I was at the point you are considering a little over a year ago. New jeep or keep this one and get a V8 conversion. We decided that this is the jeep we are keeping until we can't drive, so we opted for the V8 conversion.

I had MoTech do mine. I have a 6.0L L96 with a 6L80E transmission. I'm very pleased with the installation and support I've received from MoTech.

I'd say it boils down to this. If you want to keep the jeep you have now for the long haul, then the V8 conversion makes sense. If you plan on selling the jeep you have or trading, then it's not worth it.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bfschor
How many of you guys done engine swaps only to wish you would have used the money to trade for new? I'm trying to decide if I want to eventually do an engine swap (using MoTech, RPMExtreme, or Bruiser) or is it more reliable/easier just to trade for new. I love my jk. I've put a lot into it and would like to do more, but at some point in mileage, I'm starting to wondering when should I stop customizing (it's my daily driver, 2013 with 71k miles). Please share your thoughts/experiences with your engine swaps.
I would do the swap, getting a '16 model with the new jeep coming out '18, doesn't make a lot of sense since there are no major upgrades from your '13.
RPMExtreme is my local shop after moving here last year and I can tell you that their work is amazing. Hands down the best shop I've ever dealt with. Knowledge, service, and work they do is second to none.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the question or urge of getting a v8 is there it will not leave with going newer. I put in a 6.0/6l80e with the diy kit from RPMExtreme, top notch kit and the support is awesome. I did it because I wanted more motor to be able to pull a camper. So it was either trade it off for a truck and not have the jeep anymore or make the jeep the way I wanted it and have both. V8 for pulling, plus who's kidding who the cool factor and then still have the jeep to do the trails and exploring we like to do. You need to drive one and you will be sold on the v8.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would do an LS swap. But don't use their crazy expinsive kits, they are not needed. Can find a good ls motor for $500 and rebuild it for $500 more. This also gives ya the opertunities to upgrade your transmission to something much beefier (I went with a 4l80e), and then you have many options for much stronger transfercases too (I'm running the bullet proof np205 that you can find for $200). Cool thing about the ls motor is its all plug and play once ya have a stand alone harness and a reprogrammed computer.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

No, I have not driven one yet. I haven't been this close until now at truly considering an engine swap.

I know the best tranny option would be an auto, but what's sad is that I haven't ever driven a Jeep with an automatic (I've had a CJ7, a YJ, and now the JK). Outside of it being my daily driver, I use it for hunting and even with 4:56 gears, it's very hard to slowly creep around on our hunting lease in 2-wheel drive. And there's the mud/clutch concern. So I know I want an auto tranny.

Since the first day I brought this jk home, I said I'd love to keep it for as long as possible. I really like it and like I said, I've been putting a lot into it. I guess my biggest concern with using the money for the swap is......since I'll have a new engine and tranny, what other major $$ could start going wrong? I've never had a vehicle longer than 7 years. And yes, I'm a long way from this jk's 7 yr birthday, but the mileage is high for the age (it's a 2013 that I bought in the fall of 2012 that now has 71k miles). Granted, there's always issues that could come with a new jk as well, and I have a hard time keeping from doing anything that doesn't void the warranty.

The only other concern I have is what if I start having problems? The folks I mentioned I'd consider using aren't exactly just down the street from me (I live in Fort Worth). And I'm a desk guy...not much of a mechanic in any way. I hear that getting a Hemi is nice in that any Chrysler/Ram/Jeep dealer could service it, but I'm not sure if the LS isn't the better way to go (the tranny you get is way better).

What's your thoughts on those two things?
Old 12-18-2015, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

No, I have not driven one yet. I haven't been this close until now at truly considering an engine swap.

I know the best tranny option would be an auto, but what's sad is that I haven't ever driven a Jeep with an automatic (I've had a CJ7, a YJ, and now the JK). Outside of it being my daily driver, I use it for hunting and even with 4:56 gears, it's very hard to slowly creep around on our hunting lease in 2-wheel drive. And there's the mud/clutch concern. So I know I want an auto tranny.

Since the first day I brought this jk home, I said I'd love to keep it for as long as possible. I really like it and like I said, I've been putting a lot into it. I guess my biggest concern with using the money for the swap is......since I'll have a new engine and tranny, what other major $$ could start going wrong? I've never had a vehicle longer than 7 years. And yes, I'm a long way from this jk's 7 yr birthday, but the mileage is high for the age (it's a 2013 that I bought in the fall of 2012 that now has 71k miles). Granted, there's always issues that could come with a new jk as well, and I have a hard time keeping from doing anything that doesn't void the warranty.

The only other concern I have is what if I start having problems? The folks I mentioned I'd consider using aren't exactly just down the street from me (I live in Fort Worth). And I'm a desk guy...not much of a mechanic in any way. I hear that getting a Hemi is nice in that any Chrysler/Ram/Jeep dealer could service it, but I'm not sure if the LS isn't the better way to go (the tranny you get is way better).

So first, the LS engine/transmission is very dependable. IF you do having something go wrong, it's a matter of hooking a scanning tool up to the OBD II port for the chevy computer and going from there. Not sure how the other conversions work, but with the MoTech, you have a Chevy computer running the engine and the jeep computer running all the other stuff. If it's an engine problem, a Chevrolet dealership is going to know what's up. If it's other than the engine/transmission, then it's a Jeep dealership.

My jeep has 100,000 miles on it now (2011). I had MoTech do the conversion at 70,000 miles. I've had NO problems with their install.

I have had jeep parts begin to fail. I just replaced my steering gearbox as it was going bad. That's a result of rock crawling it and such. I also have the normal wear-and-tear items that get replaced occasionally. (drag link, tie rod ends)

If you're worried about warranty, wait until your warranty is out, then do it.

As for a local shop doing this, I believe MoTech is working with someone in Texas (don't remember where) for them to be a licensed dealer/installer. I may have this wrong and am speaking out of turn. Contact MoTech for clarification. I know some of the other installers are doing similar approaches.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jedg
So first, the LS engine/transmission is very dependable. IF you do having something go wrong, it's a matter of hooking a scanning tool up to the OBD II port for the chevy computer and going from there. Not sure how the other conversions work, but with the MoTech, you have a Chevy computer running the engine and the jeep computer running all the other stuff. If it's an engine problem, a Chevrolet dealership is going to know what's up. If it's other than the engine/transmission, then it's a Jeep dealership. My jeep has 100,000 miles on it now (2011). I had MoTech do the conversion at 70,000 miles. I've had NO problems with their install. I have had jeep parts begin to fail. I just replaced my steering gearbox as it was going bad. That's a result of rock crawling it and such. I also have the normal wear-and-tear items that get replaced occasionally. (drag link, tie rod ends) If you're worried about warranty, wait until your warranty is out, then do it. As for a local shop doing this, I believe MoTech is working with someone in Texas (don't remember where) for them to be a licensed dealer/installer. I may have this wrong and am speaking out of turn. Contact MoTech for clarification. I know some of the other installers are doing similar approaches.
So how did you get yours to MoTech? Drive it? Trailer it? The drive from NC to NV is long!! How long did they have it and had you driven one before you decided to do it?

Oh and warranty went away for me at 14k miles. LOL
Old 12-18-2015, 05:26 AM
Former Vendor

Just a thought. A V8 is awesome but on a 3.6 you can add a supercharger in about a day and it will smoke a 5.3 V8. We have done a ton of 3.6 superchargers and they never fail to impress.
If you want more power than that your looking at a 6.2 LS or a big HEMI. Both will be $20 grand plus probably closer to 30 if you want new parts.

The guys with the 3.8 engine are always better off swapping to a V8 but the 3.6 is a pretty good engine and will make really good power with a blower.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 6.4 liter Hemi in my Jeep and I like it a lot. I had the conversion done by a local dealer so I maintained the factory warranty. That was the best way for me to go because I had a newer Dodge Cummins truck to sell. My is an AEV conversion kit which is a very clean install. I really like the LS setups as well like J Edge has along with many others on the forum. I would say they are more popular now than the Hemi swaps being Chevy. Mine has been reliable too as it's all Grand Cherokee. Like J said drive one and you will know instantly how the Jeep is transformed. Fuel mileage is not that much less on the highway and a suitable trade off for power. I would say you need to keep your Jeep for a while to get back some of the money spent. I've done a lot of engine swaps but didn't have the facilities to do the body off and I had never done a newer electronic controlled engine / trans like we have. all my emissions are intact as well which is important here and for resale. Good luck and I think you would like either swap if your a power guy.

Quick Reply: Engine Swap Vs Trade for New