Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Engine Swap

Old 04-25-2011, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swap

My motor threw a rod with 42k miles on it and the dealer wants 3,853.37 to fix it and that is not going to happen.

I found a new motor and am looking for a good set of instructions to pull the old one out and swap it with a new one.

I spent 45 minutes using the search feature and I must suck at that because I found nothing.

I have never done anything like this before but in the name of saving money I may be up to the challenge if I can get some good instructions.

Please no get a Hemi comments. I know it is a great time for it but I don't have the $$ so if you want to make that suggestion you are also going to either need to send me a huge wad of money or donate a hemi.

Thanks for the help.

Jon
Old 04-26-2011, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

Anyone. Help??
Old 04-26-2011, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would suggest finding a service manual for your JK. Check with your dealer or search online. It will list step by step instructions to remove engine. Try to find some local Jeep clubs in your area. They may be able to assist you. Try the local trade school. Get a buddy who is mechanically inclined. Swapping a motor is not difficult if you have the right tools and a little knowhow.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swapping a motor is not hard if you have the tools. Just pay attention to your hoses and wires and label them on both ends so you know where they will go!

I did a motor swap on two honda civics with one friend in 4 hours. And I carried the motor blocks by hand lol. They're so damned small.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:51 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks service manual downloaded. Big help.

I am reading in it how to take the motor out and they are saying do it without the trans. That surprised me? What are your thoughts.

Are there any special tools that I will need?

Thanks
Jon
Old 04-26-2011, 06:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also make sure you have a decent assortment of socket extensions... I helped rebuild and put an engine back in a dodge van about 10 months ago and the extensions were crucial... also, your probably going to need a timing gun or chain as well. There are ways to figure out the firing order without them but it's not an easy task.

Last edited by Battlefrog; 04-26-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine Swap