Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Engine stalling when coming to idle/ P050B fault code.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stalling when coming to idle/ P050B fault code.

Hoping someone can help me figure this out.

I have a 2008 JK with automatic transmission. Ripp Supercharger.

As i'm driving and let my foot off the gas the engine will hunt just before it reaches idle (approaching a stop sign/making a turn/ slowing down) sometimes it will stall or stay running, I have noticed that it will stall more often if there is a load(i.e. going up and incline) it has stalled going into a turn. When it stalls I can put it in Neutral and bump the starter and pop it back into drive.

The check engine lamp wont come on when this happens or any warning lamps. after a couple of days the check engine lamp will come on with:
P050B - Idle air control system circuit high.

So far I have:
Smoke tested the engine through the oil cap and found no leaks,
Smoke tested the Forced induction system from the air filter and found no leaks.
Checked the engine oil level and transmission level.
Changed the spark plugs
Cleaned the throttle body
Filled with a fresh tank of fuel and added Techron.

I have cleared the code and the same symptoms will occur after several drive cycles.

I have researched the fault code and come up with nothing for JK Jeeps, only found a service bulliten for a Jeep patriot with the 4 cylinder engine.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:17 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick-NY
Hoping someone can help me figure this out.

I have a 2008 JK with automatic transmission. Ripp Supercharger.

As i'm driving and let my foot off the gas the engine will hunt just before it reaches idle (approaching a stop sign/making a turn/ slowing down) sometimes it will stall or stay running, I have noticed that it will stall more often if there is a load(i.e. going up and incline) it has stalled going into a turn. When it stalls I can put it in Neutral and bump the starter and pop it back into drive.

The check engine lamp wont come on when this happens or any warning lamps. after a couple of days the check engine lamp will come on with:
P050B - Idle air control system circuit high.

So far I have:
Smoke tested the engine through the oil cap and found no leaks,
Smoke tested the Forced induction system from the air filter and found no leaks.
Checked the engine oil level and transmission level.
Changed the spark plugs
Cleaned the throttle body
Filled with a fresh tank of fuel and added Techron.

I have cleared the code and the same symptoms will occur after several drive cycles.

I have researched the fault code and come up with nothing for JK Jeeps, only found a service bulliten for a Jeep patriot with the 4 cylinder engine.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Our experience with this code is a throttle body going bad. More common on 2007 and 2008 JK's.

Replace with a factory throttle body ONLY! We have found more problems with aftermarket/ported throttle body's with 0 gain realized on the dyno.

RIPP
Old 01-05-2017, 04:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Our experience with this code is a throttle body going bad. More common on 2007 and 2008 JK's.

Replace with a factory throttle body ONLY! We have found more problems with aftermarket/ported throttle body's with 0 gain realized on the dyno.

RIPP
Thanks Guys!!, I was going to give you guys a call but didn't want to bother you with a Non Forced induction related issue.
Makes me really happy I bought a well thought out and developed Supercharger system.

I'm surprised that there isn't more information out there on this fault/symptom.

I'm even more surprised that no one else on this forum has experienced this.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Update.

I replaced the throttle body with a factory original unit and cleared the faults.

Drove it for about 2 minutes and WHAM!! same stalling issue while driving (The fault code hasn't come back yet, but it did take a while for it to appear, so we will see)

I did notice that it will always stall when reversing into my driveway which has a slight incline.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Nick-NY; 01-10-2017 at 04:41 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:54 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick-NY
I replaced the throttle body with a factory original unit and cleared the faults.

Drove it for about 2 minutes and WHAM!! same stalling issue while driving (The fault code hasn't come back yet, but it did take a while for it to appear, so we will see)

I did notice that it will always stall when reversing into my driveway which has a slight incline.

Any ideas?
Get a data log while replicating the issue. Contact us at tuning@rippmods.com for all steps.

RIPP
Old 01-24-2017, 04:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Get a data log while replicating the issue. Contact us at tuning@rippmods.com for all steps.

RIPP
Thank you for the offer,
but I think I have figured it out, It appears to have been a really bad tank of fuel, I ran the tank down to the low fuel lamp and refueled with premium fuel (as always) and noticed the vehicle started stalling less and less and had more power. ( I use a tank of fuel every two weeks).

Vehicle hasn't stalled in the last several days.

Quick Reply: Engine stalling when coming to idle/ P050B fault code.