Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Engine mods

Old 03-07-2014, 11:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine mods

Hello Guys,
I have had several Jeeps but, just bought my first JK last month. It's an 2009 2dr Rubicon w/ an auto. So far I've cut the fenders, installed a 2 1/2 lift, new shocks, stabilizer, and 35" Fierce Attitude tires. I am very happy with the Jeep and have been driving it more than my F350. Trust me its alot easier to park....
The Jeep runs great but its used, and has 95k on it. I am trying to prepare for the future when Its going to need an engine rebuild.
I would like more power. Yes, I would like to have a Hemi installed but, don't have the 20K to throw at that project. Can the 3.8 be rebuilt for more? is there aftermarket performance parts, or heads? Can a Jeep Grand Cherokee v8 or other engine take the 3.8's spot for alot less than the Hemi transplant. I would appriciate your advise or experience.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:55 PM
JK Super Freak

I could see possibly upgrading the pistons and rods to hold more power and going forced induction. You might have to look at upgrading your valve train as well. Next is your transmission. The list keeps going. Best best is to scrap the hemi idea and go with the reliable LS motor. Can find a full long block 4.8-5.3 for 500-1000 bucks. All you need then is a 4l80 or 6l80(which would be best) and get the mounts, harness and programming. Work out the kinks and bam. Upgrade your axles as you go.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:05 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

There aren't many posts about building the 3.8 for more power, and when it does come up, the replies seemed to indicate that the 3.8 is not a good candidate.

If you don't want to swap in a hemi/LS/diesel, then start looking at the forced induction options. Most are in the 5-6k range, some are down around $2500 (without intercooler).

Last edited by nthinuf; 03-07-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks, I can see where the Forced Induction with some headers and a few other mods may be decent. I like the idea of the LS swap, anybody have an idea of cost on it? I'm guessing around 10K.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:16 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Try MoTech out in Las Vegas, their website gives some info on it.

There are plenty of threads on superchargers and turbo kits, and the dyno charts going around seem to put the numbers right up near the v-8s. Getting harder to make a decision on which way to go.

Last edited by nthinuf; 03-07-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine mods