Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Engine coolant or Hydraulic steering leak?

Old 05-06-2013, 07:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine coolant or Hydraulic steering leak?

I noticed under my jeep today that there is a red spot of oil so I go closer to observe it and it didn't feel like thick oil but like a little bit watered down oil and it was all over underneath my jeep dripping down from my track bar to my front dif cover.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-769060130.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	455045

It looks more red than in the picture.

Name:	image-3348346823.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	455047

Name:	image-3037731859.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	455048

If you look closely you can see the red drop of oil.

What do you guys think it is?
Old 05-06-2013, 07:45 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Looks like power steering fluid or tranny fluid
Old 05-06-2013, 07:47 PM
JK Newbie

I'd say tranny fluid. The tranny cooler lines are notorious for leaking...mine was doing it in the same spot...but not quite that bad. Take a look at the two lines on the bottom drivers side of your ac evap. If you follow them a little ways there will be a metal fitting where the rubber line meets. Thats where they leak usually. PM me if it is...i have a brand new set of lines i can ship ya for free....i ended up going with an stainless hose and an aftermarket cooler instead of replacing the factory ones.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by js632
I'd say tranny fluid. The tranny cooler lines are notorious for leaking...mine was doing it in the same spot...but not quite that bad. Take a look at the two lines on the bottom drivers side of your ac evap. If you follow them a little ways there will be a metal fitting where the rubber line meets. Thats where they leak usually. PM me if it is...i have a brand new set of lines i can ship ya for free....i ended up going with an stainless hose and an aftermarket cooler instead of replacing the factory ones.
Okay man ill go take a look at it now.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have you noticed any advantages to running an aftermarket cooler
Old 05-06-2013, 08:22 PM
JK Freak

That's where it seems like its coming from but it is literally covering all the undercarriage

Name:	image-2888773705.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	455068

Notice that everything is covered in oil and on the top of the crash bar has drops coming down it. It must be coming from somewhere else also. I'm gonna take it in first thing tomorrow and see what my dealer says. Thanks for your replies I really appreciate it.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:28 PM
JK Newbie

Thats what it looks like to me. Dealer should fix it if it's still under warranty...i keep forgetting people have those haha...mines long gone. Mine leaked so bad that my trans wouldn't go into gear...it would shift into drive but wouldn't go anywhere....i had to add a couple quarts of aft just to get her to move. It shot all over my undercarriage...i had to get under there with some degreaser and a pressure washer after i fixed them...it was a mess.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:31 PM
JK Freak

Thats what it looks like to me. Dealer should fix it if it's still under warranty...i keep forgetting people have those haha...mines long gone. Mine leaked so bad that my trans wouldn't go into gear...it would shift into drive but wouldn't go anywhere....i had to add a couple quarts of aft just to get her to move. It shot all over my undercarriage...i had to get under there with some degreaser and a pressure washer after i fixed them...it was a mess.
Yea mines a 2012 so I still have a long time before I lose my warranty, I still think it could be my engine coolant because I checked my reservoir and it was very very low.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKJeepJunkie
Have you noticed any advantages to running an aftermarket cooler
To be honest I haven't drove or wheeled it long enough to tell. Mine wasn't giving me troubles other than the leaking lines. I just always like to upgrade when I replace something haha. I just got the superchips traildash so no I can keep an eye on my tranny temp...unfortunately I don't have a base line temp to compare it to before i installed the cooler. Currently I have my front axle out installing gussets ball joints and tubes so it will be a lil while before I can put the cooler to use.

Name:	b_003223.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	455073

Name:	b_003324.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	455074

Name:	b_003324.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	455074

I replaced the factory cooler lines with these AN fittings and line....they look purdy.

Name:	b_003250.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	455076
Old 05-06-2013, 08:39 PM
JK Newbie

If it was coolant you should be able to smell it....does it smell like an overheating car? Is it slippery feeling on your fingers or like water. That looks a little too red to be coolant....my bet is on tranny fluid...or maybe ps fluid

Quick Reply: Engine coolant or Hydraulic steering leak?