Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Engine coolant

Old 08-06-2019, 04:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,893 Likes on 1,657 Posts

Originally Posted by Spud Racer
The problem with my 13' JK is that the dealership I bought it from had replaced the core engine after they took it in on trade and found the engine bad. I'm really not sure what coolant they put in it, so I'm not sure what to use to top it off...

Is there a way to know what's in it?

Tom (in Papua New Guinea)
Welcome back Tom. How those gears holding up?

I would THINK that the dealer, knowing it was a '13 would have put OAT in the new engine as 2013 is the year the change from HOAT to OAT happened; however, there is no guaranty. The OAT coolant looks orange if you just look in the radiator cap, but if you pull some out into a clear container (glass or something), you can see it appears purplish as it has a dye added. That said, color isn't a very good way to determine. If you are just having to top off occasionally, I'd probably just be topping off with distilled unless you're having to do that on a regular basis. If you have to do a major cooling repair like replacing a radiator, that would be a good time to just flush the entire system with distilled and move forward with whatever you prefer.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
assuming you really did get everything flushed out, you could run (pretty much) whatever you'd like. Most coolants these days are going play nice with today's engine blocks and radiators. The real issue is potentially mixing different types of coolants and the resulting reactions.
Some chemicals used in coolants when mixed will cause a non reversible chemical reaction, a real mess
Old 08-06-2019, 05:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by LC Boyer
Some chemicals used in coolants when mixed will cause a non reversible chemical reaction, a real mess
That is why I cautioned that you would need to have all of the old flushed out. And I used the word "assuming" cuz a lot of people don't consider the fact there's coolant remaining in heater core and lines....it's not a simple drain the radiator and block. So, ASSUMING one actually flushed the entire system out, you could THEN run whatever you wanted.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

That is why I cautioned that you would need to have all of the old flushed out. And I used the word "assuming" cuz a lot of people don't consider the fact there's coolant remaining in heater core and lines....it's not a simple drain the radiator and block. So, ASSUMING one actually flushed the entire system out, you could THEN run whatever you wanted.
I wasn’t arguing with you, just stating a fact, JMHO
Old 08-06-2019, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome back Tom. How those gears holding up?

I would THINK that the dealer, knowing it was a '13 would have put OAT in the new engine as 2013 is the year the change from HOAT to OAT happened; however, there is no guaranty. The OAT coolant looks orange if you just look in the radiator cap, but if you pull some out into a clear container (glass or something), you can see it appears purplish as it has a dye added. That said, color isn't a very good way to determine. If you are just having to top off occasionally, I'd probably just be topping off with distilled unless you're having to do that on a regular basis. If you have to do a major cooling repair like replacing a radiator, that would be a good time to just flush the entire system with distilled and move forward with whatever you prefer.
The Yukon 5:13 gears are holding up just fine. I took a trip down to the coast (Lae) about a month ago. I found that several of the jam nuts for the Metal Cloak GameChanger 3-1/2" control arms were loosening from the roads. I read a thread here where one broke (probably from being loose a long time). I red locktite'd all the jamnuts. Also, the front diff cover bolts were all vibrating loose, some were finger loose and I was slowly dripping oil upon my return to the mountains. It was time to change the gear oil anyways, so I pulled the cover, resealed it with blue locktite on the bolts and filled it with fresh fluid. The rear bolts were tight, so I'm waiting, and waiting and waiting for 3 liters of gear oil to get shipped up from Cairns, Australia so I can change the rear fluid.

I copy the recommendation for just topping with distilled water, but there aren't stores near here that sell such a thing. Rain water will have to do.

Last update, I finally got my two Odessey 34 PC-1500 batteries and installed a Genesis RHD dual battery kit since I'm running an auto. Can't push start it, so it's gotta start or I can lose the Jeep. I had to rewire it because I didn't like the factory set-up from Genesis, but Shane was really helpful in educating me so I could set it up right.

All is well in Papua New Guinea!

Tom
Old 08-06-2019, 06:56 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I copy the recommendation for just topping with distilled water, but there aren't stores near here that sell such a thing. Rain water will have to do.
Dang, you kinda have a pickle there. Can you buy decent pre-mix stuff there do you have to order and wait for pretty much anything? If you could buy decent pre-mix locally, I think I'd flush the entire system with water, several times/cycles to ensure there's nothing in there but water, then drain and fill with decent premix that is readily available to you. That way if you every have an emergency, at least you'll have the same coolant available to purchase. You definitely have a few more obstacles than most of us do.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is NOTHING local in the mountains of PNG. Driving four hours down to the coast gives me a few options, but they are all of the absolute lowest quality... things I wouldn't even put in a Gremlin (sorry AMC Gremlin lovers!). Either I order stuff from the USA and wait 6 months for it to ground ship here, or I order it from Australia and wait 1-2 months, but pay $11 per kilogram shipping costs. So ordering three liters of gear oil will cost $33 just to ship here. If the wrong parts show up after an order, you either make em' work, or you chuck em'.

Basically, you've got to plan maintenance WAY ahead of schedule!! It's all good though, it keeps me really diligent in keeping close tabs on my Jeep. Every time I wash it, I crawl all over/under it looking for loose things, wearing things, leaking things to keep small problems from getting missed and turning into a vehicle abandoned and stripped to the frame vehicle.

I'm hoping to someday see a little grease leaking from my driveshafts so I can justify getting some Tom Woods driveshafts on the way. I'll have to make sure that the measurements are spot on and that they know there is no room for error.

Life is challenging here, but the view is breathtaking in this land of eternal spring. I built the carport above by myself using a chain saw and hand tools. Things here have to be earthquake proof, we get them all the time.

Tom
Old 10-28-2021, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is NOTHING local in the mountains of PNG. Driving four hours down to the coast gives me a few options, but they are all of the absolute lowest quality... things I wouldn't even put in a Gremlin (sorry AMC Gremlin lovers!). Either I order stuff from the USA and wait 6 months for it to ground ship here, or I order it from Australia and wait 1-2 months, but pay $11 per kilogram shipping costs. So ordering three liters of gear oil will cost $33 just to ship here. If the wrong parts show up after an order, you either make em' work, or you chuck em'.

Basically, you've got to plan maintenance WAY ahead of schedule!! It's all good though, it keeps me really diligent in keeping close tabs on my Jeep. Every time I wash it, I crawl all over/under it looking for loose things, wearing things, leaking things to keep small problems from getting missed and turning into a vehicle abandoned and stripped to the frame vehicle.

I'm hoping to someday see a little grease leaking from my driveshafts so I can justify getting some Tom Woods driveshafts on the way. I'll have to make sure that the measurements are spot on and that they know there is no room for error.

Life is challenging here, but the view is breathtaking in this land of eternal spring. I built the carport above by myself using a chain saw and hand tools. Things here have to be earthquake proof, we get them all the time.

Tom
First time coming across this thread, saw your post and was reminded of the history I've read, about your island. Your ancestors were very brave and their assistance during WWII was absolutely invaluable. Many thanks, from the United States!!!
​​​

Quick Reply: Engine coolant