Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Engine compartment extra hot??

Old 09-13-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine compartment extra hot??

Stopped to fill up on has tonight and decided to check the oil. Oil was fine but when I lifted the hood it was extremely hot under there. Granted it was 102 here today in Dallas...is this normal... ???Is that the reason the heat reduction hood is so popular?

Any other way to help reduce the temp under there?
Old 09-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverStock
Stopped to fill up on has tonight and decided to check the oil. Oil was fine but when I lifted the hood it was extremely hot under there. Granted it was 102 here today in Dallas...is this normal... ???Is that the reason the heat reduction hood is so popular?

Any other way to help reduce the temp under there?
Yea jeep engines run real hot in general. I think some tuners allow you to kick the fan on at lower temps which might help some
Old 09-13-2011, 06:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

If your engine temp gauge was straight up, and you were not getting the transmission HOT OIL warning, the heat you felt under the hood is normal.

You may want to think about an auxiliary transmission cooler, though.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm here with you - I hate opening the hood in this Texas heat, like opening the gates of hell.

I do a lot of driving in town and freeway everyday and haven't had a problem, when I get home sometimes I'll open the hood and let cool.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If your engine temp gauge was straight up, and you were not getting the transmission HOT OIL warning, the heat you felt under the hood is normal.

You may want to think about an auxiliary transmission cooler, though.
I have the B&M tranny cooler...temp gauge was normal...and no hot oil message... Have not had that since installing the tranny cooler....

Sounds like it is normal... Might try to lower the fan setting though using my superchips...

Thanks for all the replies!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking of trimming my inner fenders to let some more "cool" air flow through...would really like to find a mesh style inner fender cover...if anyone knows of such a thing, let me know....
Old 09-13-2011, 09:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NeverStock
I have the B&M tranny cooler...temp gauge was normal...and no hot oil message... Have not had that since installing the tranny cooler....

Sounds like it is normal... Might try to lower the fan setting though using my superchips...

Thanks for all the replies!!!
Are you saying you got the hot oil warning driving on the street?

The heat you feel opening your hood after you stop is normal. When you stop the air around the engine is not moving anymore and heats up. The temperature outside has little to do with the temperature of the internal engine it is made to cool the engine at temperatures that make humans uncomfortable. The main thing is air flow thru the radiator.

Quick Reply: Engine compartment extra hot??