Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

engine bogs down / loss of acceleration at wide open throttle

Old 08-04-2020, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine bogs down / loss of acceleration at wide open throttle

Well just bought a new to me Jeep JK on 35's. When on the freeway and traveling 70mph and you floor and pedal to pass or get out of the way of merging traffic it seems to start to accelerate then just drops off! Oh and a bunch of dash lights came on...
Took the next exit and parked and restarted and everything seemed fine , no dash lights on at all. Drives fine and has plenty of power...

Thoughts?!?
Old 08-04-2020, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

well may have just figured it out. hood pads coming down and restricting airflow to the filter box

only code found...
Old 08-04-2020, 11:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

If you have 3.21 gearing, you probably can't feel much power at all on 35's going 70mph. And the steel bumper with winch would add to the lack of power. Hopefully you have better gearing. Weird that the trouble codes came on as you described. I haven't heard of similar complaints.

Last edited by rob_engineer; 08-04-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:40 PM
JK Newbie

I cut away the loose hood pad in the intake area and now it's golden. Goes right to redline rpm during shifts if you let.

Quick Reply: engine bogs down / loss of acceleration at wide open throttle