Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Emp / bas

Old 03-21-2011, 07:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Emp / bas

Anyone have issues with the EMP/BAS dash light coming on after they lifted? Mine's been intermittent for past year and dealer said it's an angle sensor in the steering column (which makes no sense since BAS stands for Brake Assist System). They want over $700 to replace and no guarantee the problem won't return. ESP really sux with the lift, anyone know of a way to disable it, or at least the annoying dash lights?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BACats
Anyone have issues with the EMP/BAS dash light coming on after they lifted? Mine's been intermittent for past year and dealer said it's an angle sensor in the steering column (which makes no sense since BAS stands for Brake Assist System). They want over $700 to replace and no guarantee the problem won't return. ESP really sux with the lift, anyone know of a way to disable it, or at least the annoying dash lights?
The computer uses the steering wheel angle to help determine if your jeep is in a skid. After the lift is installed, the steering wheel needs to be adjusted to point straight. There are several threads that discuss doing your own alignment.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Default Yup

I had the same problem after my lift, and even after the wheel alignment. It seemed no matter what we did I couldn't get the wheel centered.

I work in the collision industry and we have an automotive electronics guy that does nothing but sensors and air bags. I asked a favor of him and he plugged in and recalibrated it. I don't see a need to replace it at the tune of 7 bills if it can be recalibrated. But he did say that the wheel must be straight or dang close.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Very common after lifting. Mess with the steering wheel a bit to see if that helps, but be aware that if you have bent components, having the steering wheel straight and the computer thinking it is straight could be two very different things.

If you can't get it fixed, just do the steering wheel dance to turn the system off. The jeep factory folks know about the steering/computer issues on lifted rigs, and that is their way of addressing it...
Old 03-21-2011, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yep, mine came on once in a while after I installed my lift.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GR8JK
I had the same problem after my lift, and even after the wheel alignment. It seemed no matter what we did I couldn't get the wheel centered.

I work in the collision industry and we have an automotive electronics guy that does nothing but sensors and air bags. I asked a favor of him and he plugged in and recalibrated it. I don't see a need to replace it at the tune of 7 bills if it can be recalibrated. But he did say that the wheel must be straight or dang close.
how did he do this?
Old 03-21-2011, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do the ESP killswitch. Never have ESP problems, and be able to spin your tires all day long without ESP stoping you. I did it works great. Message me if ya want the instructions. Make sure to fix any steering problems first!
Old 03-21-2011, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Check the torque on your front track bar. I broke the steering sensor a few months back and had it replaced and last month after i was tinkering with my front end it came on again as soon as i re-torqued the track bar to spec its been off.

Quick Reply: Emp / bas