Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Emergency custom drive shaft help!

Old 02-02-2011, 01:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency custom drive shaft help!

So, here is the situation. My transfer case just exploded and I discovered that is not a un common problem. My fix is going to be to order a Atlas 2 speed. I will also need to replace my drive shafts. Sounds easy enough right? Now things get complicated…… I am in the Army and I am stationed in Germany. I have already set a trade route in-between home and here. The web site says it takes 1-4 weeks to receive the transfer case then it will take 6-8 weeks to get to me via-freight. Then I have to install the t-case, measure and order the drive-shafts. Again, Tom Woods will take 1-4 weeks for custom shafts and a additional 6-8 weeks freight shipping. This all adds up to a grand total of 14-24 weeks total time before my Jeep is drivable again. It would be very helpful if anyone could provide me with their measurement for their shafts given you have a similar set-up. The shafts will be for a 07 4 door with Currie Rock Jock 60’s, Atlas 2, 6.5 BDS long arm. And I plan on using 1350 shafts. If I can order everything at the same time it would be a great help. I understand that the measurements will not be the same on every rig but if they are close the drive shaft it’s self allows some play. Thank you for any help you can provide.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ducttapejoe... it would help those who are will to inform us if you have 2 or 4 door, auto or manual trans, and anything else that would affect the measurment. You do have a unique set-up so, it may be hard to find. But, this is the best place to look.

Edit: you did mention 4 door... but trans?
Old 02-02-2011, 01:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Where you stationed in Germany?

There a few Shops that are building rigs similiar to yours.

I mean, just take it to one of the shops next to you and they are getting the parts much faster than you...
Old 02-02-2011, 02:16 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry, I forgot. 4 Door 6 spd. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:18 AM
JK Newbie

I am stationed in Grafenwoher but I have another can and I am not afraid to drive. So if you know any shops that are building custom shafts in gremany that would be worth a shot. Thank You!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bazillus
Where you stationed in Germany?

There a few Shops that are building rigs similiar to yours.

I mean, just take it to one of the shops next to you and they are getting the parts much faster than you...
That sounds great! Can I just order parts through these shops? I am kind of picky, I like to do all of my work myself.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

http://meinjeep.de/orz/

There are in Munich, but are known in Europe for their Hemi-Buildups and other things.

Give them a call, i'm pretty sure they can help you getting your needed parts, included custom driveshafts.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:57 AM
JK Freak

I have to take acception to the statement that it is not "uncommon" to blow the transfer case. It seems on the Forum that everytime someone does something that was probably caused by their particular way of driving, that the damage that ensued was "not uncommon". It would be fun to poll how many JK drivers have had these particular issues and then put a percentage factor to them. I think we would find that actually they are very uncommon. It's like many of the problems encountered with the hard core Moab drivers and someone like myself who goes off road and enjoys the JK but never climbs boulders, and saying we will have the same issues. Anyway, that is what makes having a JK fun, everyone doing what they enjoy doing in them. Good luck with your repair.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:10 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by largo
I have to take acception to the statement that it is not "uncommon" to blow the transfer case. It seems on the Forum that everytime someone does something that was probably caused by their particular way of driving, that the damage that ensued was "not uncommon".
I think he meant it's not uncommon with the way he has his Jeep set up.
Looking at his profile, he has some of the ingredients for the "recipe for disaster".
Old 02-02-2011, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I think he meant it's not uncommon with the way he has his Jeep set up.
Looking at his profile, he has some of the ingredients for the "recipe for disaster".
Yes, it seems like I have had even more trouble after the 37in Nittos. This is a very heavy tire that gets great traction but always seems to find my weakest link and break it.

Quick Reply: Emergency custom drive shaft help!