Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Electronic Sway Bar Disco Issues

Old 11-06-2019, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Sway Bar Disco Issues

I brought my 17 JK into the dealer because the sway bar light was blinking one morning. Turns out there was a good amount of water in the mechanism and the threads are completely stripped out. They said it was stripped because the sway bar end links I have on are too long. When I installed them, I adjusted them so that the sway bar arms were parallel with the road. So my questions are, how long should the sway bar links be for a 2.5 lift? And from my understanding of how the mechanism works, wouldn’t end links that are too long have little to no effect on the electronic disconnect mechanism?

thanks much
Old 11-06-2019, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

I agree with the OP. The only thing that out of adjustment angle would affect is the performance of the sway bar. Your accessories dealer should be able to sell you the correct links. But in a nutshell,if you lift 2.5" then the links should be 2.5" longer than stock.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:55 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

I have a lot of miles on mine... no problems. My Dad however has a 2015 with a 2.5 inch lift... and has had two of them completely give up on him. So it might be luck of the draw... I doubt your extended links had anything to do with the failure. My brother had his give out as well... he replaced it with the mechanical cable.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Yup, these fail all the time. I highly doubt your links had anything to do with it, but the dealer needs to deflect the blame somewhere.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have said it's not "IF" the factory unit is going to fail it's "when". Go to the mechanical cable and your problems are solved.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, just talked to the dealer again. They’re refusing to cover it, saying the links caused it. After re-reading the owners manual, I can confirm I broke it, but it wasn’t the links that did it (still not going to tell them that though). Guess it’s time for an upgrade. Thanks for the replies
Old 11-07-2019, 01:53 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

You can use the EVO no-limits knob and it can still be functional -

https://www.amazon.com/EVO-1087-NoLi.../dp/B00TEA0WXC
Old 11-07-2019, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'm curious- how did you break it? I've got a friend who is incredibly tough on parts and he hasn't broken his. He's broken the factory lockers but not the disco. He's also on 4.5" and 37's.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It your dealership. I think I'll go kiss my lifetime warranty and everyone at my dealership. I've ha a 2.5 inch RC puck lift for the last 100,000 miles, with longer links. (Moved the back ones to the front and put longer ones in back.). I use it for hunting so I drive through a lot of snow and ice covered water. Just recently my sway bar light started blinking constantly. I took it in and they said the actuator was full of water so they replaced it. That didn't fix it so they replaced the entire sway bar. I even asked them not to use the new links that come with the sway bar because mine are longer. No problem.

Quick Reply: Electronic Sway Bar Disco Issues