Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Electrical Outlet on jeep

Old 09-09-2013, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Outlet on jeep

Has any one put an house electrical outlet on there keeps. Was at the lake and was like use the air compresser or the blow up motor to the air bed. Air compresser was fast but I would like to install an outlet. Let me know
Old 09-09-2013, 11:37 AM
JK Freak

Come on man. At least attempt to use punctuation and form complete/coherent sentences.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's probably faster just to get a power inverter.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two options:

buy and hard mount an inverter. you can wire it directly to one of the existing lighters - the one acc driven and not constant live.

buy a plug in inverter and keep it in your glove box.

I personally prefer hard mounting one, either bolting it to the floor or dissassembling one and mounting the outlets through custom holes in a body panel.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My concern with hard mounting one is it getting wet and shorting out. If you only use it occasionally then go for one that just uses the lighter plug.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Haha thanks guys. I am going to do a power inverter. And sorry iam new to this phone and is hard to type. thanks again
Old 09-10-2013, 07:57 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by r3cluse
My concern with hard mounting one is it getting wet and shorting out. If you only use it occasionally then go for one that just uses the lighter plug.
I share that concern. Regardless, I mounted one with hose clamps under the passenger seat. Hardwired direct to aux battery because through the cig lighter is very limited in power. I use mine to power an LCD projector on some trips. Nothing better than "The Gods Must be Crazy" while on the trail.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Has anyone retrofitted the OE inverter from a Sahara (the one in the center console) into a JKS? Wondering what would be involved?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get an inverter that has "Alligator" clips or a harness that connects to the battery. The "cig lighter" circuit is weak and will not stand up to the use of an inverter that can power a compressor for very long. It will power a SMALL inverter for say a laptop kind of load but a compressor ...
Old 09-10-2013, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check your compressor. It should have watts or amps listed on it. Then get an inverter that will cover the load you need. The cigarette lighter style inverter only does like 200 watts, probally not enough to run even the smallest compressor. But I have an air bed pump that plugs inot a cigarette outlet. It works ok.

If you direct wire it, make sure you use the proper size wire and a fuse to to protect from overload.

Quick Reply: Electrical Outlet on jeep