Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Electrical Distribution Panel?

Old 11-06-2013, 12:12 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by ABENDX
... The sPod will look like it came from the factory, John did a good job in getting it looking right... the ARC model I have will look like shit inside of your rig. Your call... looks or function.
You can buy the sPOD control as a separate item. I did. Think I paid around $140 for it. Having waterproof hardware under the hood would be nice--surprised sPOD didn't do that.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
You can buy the sPOD control as a separate item. I did. Think I paid around $140 for it. Having waterproof hardware under the hood would be nice--surprised sPOD didn't do that.
The ARC is a complete item... panel and relay board are integral to one another (i.e. they work together).
Old 11-06-2013, 08:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

The ARC is a complete item... panel and relay board are integral to one another (i.e. they work together).
Oh. The sPOD can use whatever switches you wish--or their panel. Wonder why ARC designed theirs that way? For something as simple as relays, fuses and switches, seems to me one would really have to go out of their way to make it NOT work with the bare switches on the sPOD.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:01 AM
JK Freak

Oh. The sPOD can use whatever switches you wish--or their panel. Wonder why ARC designed theirs that way? For something as simple as relays, fuses and switches, seems to me one would really have to go out of their way to make it NOT work with the bare switches on the sPOD.
Okay bud... I was just giving some info on my experience from running BOTH items.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:30 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Okay bud... I was just giving some info on my experience from running BOTH items.
The name is Mark. Don't be rude. I asked an honest question because you have used both. I suggested the sPOD control earlier because you seemed to deride the appearance of the ARC product. It was a suggestion. You said wouldn't work. Fine. I just wonder why.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 11-06-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:01 AM
JK Freak

The name is Mark. Don't be rude. I asked an honest question because you have used both. I suggested the sPOD control earlier because you seemed to deride the appearance of the ARC product. It was a suggestion. You said wouldn't work. Fine. I just wonder why.
I have no idea why ARC would design their product the way they did, I think you need to ask them, not me.

Here's a pic installed in my rig.... ugly, no? (it's the only pic I have, but think you'll get the idea)

I also have options to mount that few would be willing to make in a JK, yet it is still ugly.

Functionality is superior. Look it up.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:52 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

... Functionality is superior. Look it up.
I actually tried looking it up before my first mention of ARC, but was on my phone. Now, on a computer, I have access to their catalog, which has a ton more info than their website. This is about the product I think you have ...

These flat touch face panels are truly unique because they use no electronics, which makes them immune to EMI and RFI interference. Available in 4, 8, & 12 switch configurations these systems are warranted from defects for their life, by utilizing components rated at up to 1 billion cycles operation. The switching units are only 3/4" thick weighing under 1/2 pound for an 8-switch control, enabling in dash units to Velcro mount to any flat surface. (No chopping up your dash). Overhead units clamp to roll bars. Typical installation time for an 8-switch unit is under 45 minutes.

These units feature 50 Amp rated switching. A simple jumper connection selects either 12V or 16V operation. Internal selector switches allow you to change any switch from a maintained on/off operation to momentary. Another feature allows you to have a master/ignition switch which can be set up to turn off none, any one, or all of the panels switches at the same time the ignition is turned off. This is a tremendous safety advantage in an emergency.

The unit comes with a selection of race words for switch labeling. The labels are backlit red when the switch is off, allowing you to not only see where but what each switch is. When the switch is turned on the backlight changes from red to green.

The 12 position switch units allow the selection of a second master switch, using switches 9 through 12 for nitrous operation shutting the entire nitrous system down simultaneously. The momentary switch selection feature allows you to create purge
and bottle opener operations easily. Switches 9 through 12 may also remain in the standard operation mode as switches 1 through 8.

Each unit comes with wiring. These units are also immune to moisture, which makes them ideal for open cockpit cars.
Sounds interesting. I ran into two problems with the sPOD that something like the ARC system might address:

1. I had to wire up my overhead lights to two separate circuits on separate switches. ARC would handle the required 10 amps per light (40 amps total) on one switch.

2. Not sure if ARC would handle this or not, but the sPOD is designed for switched-to-make-contact instead of switched-to-break-contact. This is great for controlling things you want to turn on that are normally off. However, if there is something that is normally turned on by itself that you wish to override and force off, the sPOD doesn't provide a means to do that. In order to wire in my engine fan switch, which I power off when fording, I had to install a relay to be controlled by the sPOD relay. This second relay has a NC output on it--power is passed to the fan normally when the relay is deenergized. However, I can override it to turn off the fan when I need it off. I could have used the sPOD switch to control the fan directly, but then I would have had to remember to turn it on every time I drove the Jeep. And the fan draws close to the max for the sPOD. Also, if I forgot to turn the switch off after the drive, then the relay would remain activated, drawing current from the battery (sPOD power not being ignition switched). With the extra relay, I can leave the switch always off except at those rare times when I need the fan off.

But, I agree the sPOD controller is a very nice looking unit, especially if you get the OTRATTW toggles.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 11-06-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Where did you get these from?
I'm running the 6 circuit version of this without the ground terminals. Go to Amazon and search for Blue Sea Systems. A few different sizes/options. Great product. I mounted mine next to the battery.

Amazon.com: Blue Sea Systems 5026 ST Blade Fuse Block with Cover: Sports & Outdoors
Old 11-07-2013, 04:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jonboy74
I'm running the 6 circuit version of this without the ground terminals. Go to Amazon and search for Blue Sea Systems. A few different sizes/options. Great product. I mounted mine next to the battery.

Amazon.com: Blue Sea Systems 5026 ST Blade Fuse Block with Cover: Sports & Outdoors
Thanks! This got me to browsing Amazon and found all sorts of fuse boxes as well as automotive relays.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonboy74
I'm running the 6 circuit version of this without the ground terminals. Go to Amazon and search for Blue Sea Systems. A few different sizes/options. Great product. I mounted mine next to the battery. Amazon.com: Blue Sea Systems 5026 ST Blade Fuse Block with Cover: Sports & Outdoors
I like the price. Would you mind showing a pic of yours mounted?

Quick Reply: Electrical Distribution Panel?