Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Electric winch or just a comealong??

Old 04-10-2011, 09:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
When you're concerned that your $30k toy is stuck in the nasty soupy stuff, do you really want to be sitting there cranking on a hand winch being all pissed off? I wouldn't. And- let's think safety for a minute. You're cranking and snap- the line breaks, guess where it's coming?? Besides- it would take quite a bit of cranking on a hand winch to get you out if you were really stuck. Most winches that I've seen have about 100' of line. Subtract 5' as the inner wraps and that leaves you with 95' of hand cranking on your worst day. And let's face it- are you going to help someone out of a ditch if YOU have to crank it out of there or would you rather just hit the button and watch the magic happen? Lots of reasons to go electric, convienence is just the big one.
No, I would just make them crank it... "Get to work biaaaatch!!".

Anyways, the More Power Puller that I was looking into getting originally is a very strong unit and comes with the option of a synthetic line which would make it safer to use I think. It comes with about 25 - 30 feet of line, so I'd have to get some extra straps and whatnot I suppose. If I have to crank myself 95' out of a hole, I probably shouldn't have gone there in the first place. Besides, I wouldn't put my $30K vehicle in a predicament to the point of such that I could possibly wreck it or not get myself home either. The comealong does have it's limitations for sure, but doesn't everything? Even an electric wich has it's disadvantages does it not?
Old 04-10-2011, 09:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Of course the electric has it's limitations- the solenoid and the battery are usually the big 2. But from a very practical point of view, electric is better. I have had both a comealong hand winch and an electric winch for my atv (650 rincon on 26s) and the electric is a lot nicer when I get into something I don't want to be in. I also have an xrc10 on the jeep for the same reason- just in case.

Those were simply my points as to why the electric winch was better than a hand operated one, to each his own.
You make some good points and I thank you for your input. I am not an experienced off-roader myself, so that is what I'm looking for...the opinions of someone wiser than me.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Runewolf1973

No, I would just make them crank it... "Get to work biaaaatch!!".

Anyways, the More Power Puller that I was looking into getting originally is a very strong unit and comes with the option of a synthetic line which would make it safer to use I think. It comes with about 25 - 30 feet of line, so I'd have to get some extra straps and whatnot I suppose. If I have to crank myself 95' out of a hole, I probably shouldn't have gone there in the first place. Besides, I wouldn't put my $30K vehicle in a predicament to the point of such that I could possibly wreck it or not get myself home either. The comealong does have it's limitations for sure, but doesn't everything? Even an electric wich has it's disadvantages does it not?
Also remember when it comes to adding more straps to that 35' line your losing power (tension) in the linkage and will be more prone for snapping....

Quick Reply: Electric winch or just a comealong??