Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Electric winch or just a comealong??

Old 04-09-2011, 10:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Electric winch or just a comealong??

So I've decided on going with the RR XHD bumpers front and back, but the only thing I have yet to decide, is should I get a the one with the winch mount or not.

This Jeep is my daily driver, so I don't want to have too much weight in the front all year round. Although the winch would look great, I just don't see it getting used often enough (like maybe once a year if ever) to warrant having one. I was thinking of just going oldschool with just a good comealong like the More Power Puller, or maybe a High-Lift Jack. I can use a comealong or High-Lift on the front or back of the Jeep also. .....But a winch on the front bumper just looks plain cool.

So what do you say? For someone who doesn't plan on going too crazy with the off-roading, would a electric winch just amount to nothing more than a fancy hood ornament?
Old 04-10-2011, 01:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A winch would be useful in places youd never expect it. I would personally go with the winch. I've always been the type to go with function over appeal, and a winch will carry you and your buds out of ANYTHING if you are creative enough.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My personal opinion would be get the winch, and a good one at that. It's a solid investment, you may think you won't use it...but then there will be that one time you're going to find yourself in a situation where you could really use it, and all it takes is that one time and it will be worth all the money invested. I consider my winch to be like my first aid kit...I may not need it more than once a year, but when I do, believe me I'm happy I have it.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its better to have and not need ,than to need and not have !
Old 04-10-2011, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have the rugged ridge bumpers and i went with the winch mount. If you dont think you will use a winch often.. I wouldnt go all out and by a high end winch.. but if you bought a low end winch and used it once to pull yourself out of a snowy ditch (you live way north) it would be worth the investment.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the winch. I have used mine more to pull others out than to pull me out. I have used mine a few times and I'm glad I had it too. I also have a hi-lift. My vote: winch.

Last edited by rcdude3; 04-10-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:03 AM
cfr
JK Freak

If you have a come along lying around, by all means toss it in the Jeep (someone gave me two after hearing I'd bought a Jeep). Better to have that as option than nothing. Before that, there was one situation where I could have used it.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Get a good winch and consider w/Air compressor too.

Unfortunately, you can plan "when will I need a winch". It is a good safety investment and you can always sell it later. I have the Warn w/Air and I am always filling every ones tires after a run. I have used my winch 4x in three years and only one was for me. Glad I had it and I also had a pull-pal and glad I did.
Good Luck
Old 04-10-2011, 07:20 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

as others have stated, get the winch. you'll be so glad that you did the first time that you need to use it.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

winch winch winch! If you have it, you will find a use for it (even if it is pulling poor suckers out of the ditch in snow storms) and it is super nice to have.

Quick Reply: Electric winch or just a comealong??